List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1191073

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityPotterspury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235340

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

POTTERSPURY FURTHO SP74SE 7/103 Church of St. Bartholomew 17/06/60

GV II*

Church. C12 and C14 substantially rebuilt c.1620 and restored 1870. Coursed squared limestone, slate roof to nave, plain-tile roofs to chancel and tower. Chancel, nave and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood mould. Pair of 2-light windows to south with straight heads and Decorated tracery and small blocked rectangular window below south-west window with chamfered stone surround. Round-arched priest's door to south with hood mould and label stops. Diagonal off-set buttresses, 2 offset buttresses to north and chamfered plinth to east end. 3-bay nave has 3-light arched mullion windows with cut spandrels and hood moulds, except for similar 2-light window to west of south door. South doorway with chamfer, Tudor-arched head, cut spandrels, hood mould and plank door. Similar doorway to north. Stone bracket water-spouts to west end either side of tower. Chamfered plinth. Plain parapet with moulded string to base and shield to middle of south side of parapet with initials in rectangular wave-moulded surround. Finial to east gable. 2-stage tower is partly built within west end of nave and has 3-light window to west similar to those of nave and similar bell-chamber openings, wave-moulded plinth, diagonal off-set buttresses, string and moulded string to base of battlemented parapet. Parapet has pair of water-spouts to west resembling urns. Pyramidal roof. Interior; chancel has image brackets either side of east window, pointed trefoil-headed piscina, double sunk quadrant moulded tomb recess to north side and blocked window to north-west with pointed trefoil head. 2-bay roof with cambered tie beam, rest concealed by plaster ceiling. Double-chamfered chancel and tower arches with continuous chamfer outermost and polygonal responds innermost with chamfered bases and moulded capitals. Nave has 3-bay roof with many-moulded wall plate, moulded tie beams to principal rafters, moulded purlins and ridge piece, king posts and ogee-stop-chamfered rafters. Small C17 octagonal stone font. The church was rebuilt at the expense of Sir Robert Banastre of Passenham who purchased the Manor of Furtho in 1625. (Buildings of England; Northamptonshire: 1973, p221)

Listing NGR: SP7734343088

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 221

National Grid Reference: SP 77343 43088

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 01:24:19.