List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1190752

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityAlderton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235281

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAFTON REGIS CHURCH LANE SP7446 (South side) Alderton 12/44 Church of St. Margaret 17/05/60 GV II*

Church. Late Perpendicular, body of Church rebuilt 1848. Coursed squared limestone, slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with C19 curvilinear tracery and hood mould with label stops and pair of 1-light windows to south with straight heads cinquefoil-headed lights cut spandrels and hood moulds; diagonal offset buttresses. Nave has 2-light windows with Decorated style tracery and hood moulds with label stops. South door has hollow chamfer and wave moulding. South porch has chamfered doorway with hood mould. 2-stage tower has 2-light west window with segmental-arched head and hood mould. 2-light bell-chamber openings with straight heads and hood moulds, and battlemented parapet. Nave and chancel have hollow-chamfered stone eaves. Diagonal off-set buttresses to nave. Interior: chancel has ogee-arched blank arcading to east end. Double-chamfered chancel arch, continuous outermost, resting on corbels innermost. Double-chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds. C19 arch-braced collar truss roof. Font octagonal, bowl and stem in one, panelled with cusped blank arcading and foliage frieze with heads to angles. Pulpit dated 1631, hexagonal. Panels have short broad blank arches and strapwork above. Back panel inscribed I THE LORD/WILL MEET/THEE IN THIS/PLACE AND TEL/THEE WHAT THOU/SHALT SAYE TO/THE PEOPLE EX.25. Tester has two winged cherubim heads within. The inscription is adapted from Exodus 25 verse 22 and the decoration of the tester is inspired by the description of the mercy seat in the same chapter. Pair of brass candle-holders. West gallery curves forward and is supported by simple fluted columns with painted inscription to front: THIS GALLERY WAS ERECTED FOR THE SINGERS ONLY ANNO DOMINI 1831/BY VOLONTARY CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE PARISHIONERS. C19 stain-glass windows to chancel south windows. Monuments: oaken effigy of cross-legged knight, Early C14. Believed to be Sir William de Combemartyne d.1318. Brass plate in moulded stone surround to Sir John Heselrige 3rd son of Sir Thomas Haselrige Baronet d.1655, with Latin inscription, arms to left hand upper corner, crest to right. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p76)

Listing NGR: SP7404746909

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 76

National Grid Reference: SP 74047 46909

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 12:24:06.