List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1190715

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, BLITHBURY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireLichfieldDistrict AuthorityHamstall Ridware

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 272882

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAMSTALL RIDWARE C.P. BLITHBURY ROAD (north- SK 1019-1119 east side)

12/36 Church of St. Michael 27.2.64 and All Angels

GV I

Parish church. Mainly C14 and C15 incorporating some C12 fragments. Sandstone ashlar; low pitch, leaded covered roofs. West Tower, 3-bay nave with side aisles, 2-bay chancel with north chapel; and a south chapel and vestry. West tower. Early C14. 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, plain parapet and recessed spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes. Pointed west door with ogee-moulded surround and hood mould. Belfry openings of 2 trefoil- headed lights with sunken spandrels, beneath a flat arch. Nave. C12 west wall. Late C15 clerestorey: 4-centred arch windows with Y-tracery and concave quarter round-moulded jambs and mullions; continuous hood mould. C15 north aisle: square-headed windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights with ogee and concave quarter round-moulded surrounds, and sunken spandrels. Continued to the east as the north chapel: C18 windows to north and east with semi-circular arches, raised keystones, moulded architraves and leaded glass. North doorway with similar details. On the east wall is an aedicule with bracketed open pediment, commemorating Joseph Riley, died 1759. C14 south aisle: square headed windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights with sunken spandrels. Similar window of 2-lights in the south wall of the south chapel, and plain rectangular loops in the south and east walls. Mid-C19 gabled south porch of rock-faced ashlar with yellow dressings and plain tile roof with fishscale tile bend. Early C14 chancel with pointed east window of 4 trefoil-headed lights and cusped intersecting tracery. Interior. Nave arcade has pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded capitals. At the west end of the north aisle are the remains of an earlier, blocked arch, probably a window. Tall pointed and chamfered tower arch, and above it a C12 window, blocked by the west tower. There is no chancel arch. C15 roof over the nave with moulded ridge piece, purlins and tie hems; the latter are cambered and supported on brackets. Aisle roofs with moulded ridge pieces and tie beams. The north aisle roof is inscribed 16 RO: IR 69. 2-bay chancel arcade of pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals. On the south side a C16 tomb recess has been inserted. C14 piscina with trefoiled head and sunken spandrels in the south wall, partly destroyed by the tomb recess. In the south wall of the south chapel are the remains of a staircase which led to a former rood loft. At loft level is a doorway between south chapel and chancel. Fittings. C19 stone font; octagonal with concave diagonals. C19 wooden pulpit; panels carved with grapes and vine leaves. early to mid-C16 north chapel screen; Perpendicular, incorporating two medallions containing putti. Late C15 south chapel screen with central Tudor arch and open traceried panels. At the east end of the south chapel is a plank and muntin partition separating it from the vestry. The muntins have roll-moulded edges. C15/C16. Monument. Richard and John Cotton, 1502. Chest tomb with cusped panels containing heraldic shields. The tomb is beneath a four-centred arch recess between chancel and south chapel. Stained Glass. C14 fragments incorporated in one of the south chapel windows. 3 early C16 north aisle windows. Several windows of the late C19/C20. At the time of the resurvey (September 1986) 2 late C15 painted panels which had been incorporated into the reredos, had been removed for restoration work. B.o.E. pp. 139-40.

Listing NGR: SK1057019357

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 139-40

National Grid Reference: SK 10565 19346

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 10:00:06.