List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1190600

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, ROAD HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityAshton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTON ROADE HILL SP74NE (West side) 4/5 Church of St. Michael and All 03/05/68 Angels (Formerly listed as Church of St. Michael) GV II*

Church. C14 and C15. West tower rebuilt 1848 by R.C. Hussey (Pevsner), body of church restored 1853 onwards by E.F. Law and again in 1911. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone and ironstone dressings, and slate roofs. Chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and west tower. 1-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular east window with 4-centred head, 3-light Perpendicular window to south with similar head and 2-light window to north with Decorated tracery, all with hood moulds. Priest's door to south-west with chamfered stone surround, segmental-arched head and hood mould. Nave has 3-light Perpendicular windows either side of porch with 4-centred heads, that to east side larger, and 2-light clerestory windows with straight heads and ogee-arched heads to lights, all with hood moulds; 1-light window to south-east at low level with chamfered stone surround. Double hollow-chamfered south door, similar doorway to porch, and 1-light windows to east and west, the latter with cinquefoiled head, all with hood moulds. North aisle has large 3-light east window with intersecting-tracery, 3-light west window with reticulated tracery, and 2-light windows to north with Y-tracery, quatrefoils to head and lop-sided cusped heads to lights; all have hood moulds. 3-stage west tower has 2-light west window with Decorated tracery and hood mould, 1-light windows to middle stage with chamfered stone surrounds and straight heads and 1-light bell-chamber openings, those to north and south with Caernarvon-arched heads and rectangular hollow-chamfered stone surrounds, those to east and west with trefoils to heads; saddle-back roof. Stone-coped gables with kneelers, hollow-chamfered stone eaves to chancel nave and aisle, and diagonal off-set buttress to south-east angle of nave, off-set buttress to south-west angle and to east side of south-east window. Interior: nave has 2-bay arcade with octagonal pier, polygonal responds, moulded bases and capitals, and double-chamfered arches. Octagonal C17 pulpit has 2 tiers of panels with blank round-headed arches. C19 and C20 stain-glass windows. Monuments: wooden effigy of knight with crossed legs. Early C14. Said to be of Sir Philip de Lou, Lord of the Manor in 1315. Alabaster effigy of Sir John de Herteshull, who died before 1365, on tomb-chest with arched panels, ball-flower frieze and inscription to upper edge. Brasses of Robert Marriott d.1584 and family on chest-tomb. Wall monument to Reverend John Whitford d.1667 and his wife Judith; slate tablet and veined grey marble surround with volutes flanking inscription and cartouche of arms above. Wall monument of veined white marble to Captain Richard Lestocke, J.P. for Middlesex d.1713 with apron bearing crossed anchors, flags and cutlasses, volutes flanking inscription panel, small round-arched pediment and pair of cherubs heads above. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p94; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire: 1936)

Listing NGR: SP7652449977

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Northamptonshire - Date: 1932 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973

National Grid Reference: SP 76524 49977

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 02:01:35.