List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHAPWICK HOUSE HOTEL THE GRANARY

List entry Number: 1190480

Location

SHAPWICK HOUSE HOTEL, 7, MONKS DRIVE
THE GRANARY, 6, MONKS DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityShapwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269251

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST43NW SHAPWICK CP MONKS DRIVE (North side)

2/23 Nos. 6 and 7 (The Granary and Shapwick House Hotel) (formerly listed as Shapwick House)

29.3.63

GV II*

Country house in landscaped grounds, now hotel with portion of service wing used as a separate dwelling. 1630 for Sir Henry Rolle, Chief Justice to Charles I; much altered late C18 for George Templar; clock tower with date:- "1865" marking restoration for H. B. Strangways, probably by George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared blue lias rubble, slate roofs, coped verges some with ball finials, exposed chimney breasts to each return, capping ashlar stacks set diagonally in groups of 3. Jacobean with plain C18 modifications, particularly on the entrance frontage, E-plan. Three storeys and 2 storeys and attic, 1:1:1:1:1 bays; those to each side in projecting wings with front facing gables, paired 12 and 18-pane sash windows with central dividing mullions in shallow full height canted bays with ogee-shaped lead roofs; remainder of openings with 18-pane sash windows except 2-light ovolo moulded stone-mullioned windows in half dormers to second floor. Central slender 3-storey projecting gabled porch, 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned windows, that to first floor double transomed; elaborate doorcase of dressed stone, moulded and keyed with a semi-circular head, spandrels with acanthus enrichment, triglyph frieze, Doric pilasters, moulded cornice, 3 ball finials; paired C20 doors. Attached domestic wing to left return; salient feature the arcaded wooden bellcote with ogee-shaped lead dome and windvane, standing on projecting clock tower with offset; 2, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned windows, some transomed, 2 to left in half-dormers, some C20 refenestration. Two large 7-light canted bays to rear. Interior predominantly of the late C18; hall on flag floor, marble fireplace with colonnettes incorporating cast-iron fireback dated:- "1727"; right ground floor room with panelling and fireplace; open well staircase with ramped handrail, secondary lesser staircase; further features of note including ornamental plasterwork; dado panelling; doors and window shutters; C17 fireplace to first floor; reused C17 panelling to rear room on ground floor.

Listing NGR: ST4164038779

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 41672 38772

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 11:07:45.