List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE DOWER HOUSE

List entry Number: 1190311

Location

THE DOWER HOUSE, 52, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityBugbrooke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234660

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUGBROOKE HIGH STREET SP6757 (West side) 12/30 No.52 (The Dower House) 03/05/68

GV II*

House. Late C17. Addition of 1706, other C18 additions and alterations, and additions and alterations of 1969. Coursed squared ironstone, plain-tile roof to older wing, hipped slate roof to 1706 range, brick end and lateral stacks. L-plan originally, now T-plan. 2 storeys and attic; 2-storey range of 1706; 6-window range to High Street. Original range has possible blocked central door with stone lintel and old 2-light leaded windows to ground and first floors with moulded stone sills and stone lintels; rendered plinth, hollow-chamfered and moulded stone eaves, 3 gabled dormer windows, Quoins and stone-coped gable with kneelers to right. 3-bay wing dated 1706 has blocked windows to ground floor with moulded stone sills and ornamental carved stone lintels. 18-pane sash window to first floor left, 12-pane sash to first floor right, blank central first floor window with datestone in middle inscribed W/IM/1706. Ground and first floor right windows are narrower. Wave-moulded plinth, two 1-light cellar windows with stone lintels, raised quoins, sill band and moulded wood eaves. Entrance to rear in C20 2-storey porch. Garden door to 1706 wing part-glazed, with ornamental fanlight and stone lintel. Interior has ogee stop-chamfered spine beams. Open fireplace with chamfered bressumer. Dog-leg staircase with twisted balusters Single large room to ground and first floors of 1706 wing with fielded panelling, bolection-moulded doorcases, early C19 white marble chimneypieces, that to first floor with later C19 grate with fine tiles. Fitted cupboard to left of ground floor chimneypiece with fluted pilasters, round-arched head and shaped shelves. Similar-fitted cupboard to first floor landing. Stone fireplace with Tudor-arched head and spandrels inscribed IT to left and TN to right: possibly re-used with other fittings from The Grange, Daventry.

Listing NGR: SP6776157078

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 67761 57078

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 02:11:18.