List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1190174

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityHackleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235503

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HACKLETON HORTON SP8154 21/103 Church of St. Mary 03/05/68

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14, repaired and altered c.1720 at expense of Earl of Halifax; body of church restored and partly rebuilt by E.F. Law 1862-3. Coursed limestone rubble and coursed squared limestone and ironstone; slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south aisle and porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has inverted round-arched relieving arch in ironstone below 3-light east window with C19 Decorated-style tracery and 2-light windows to south side only with C19 Geometrical tracery, all with hood moulds. Nave has central 1-light window to north side flanked by 2-light windows, all with C19 Decorated tracery and hood moulds. South aisle has similar 2-light windows and 1-light window to west end. Double-chamfered south door in C19 porch with similar doorway and 1-light window to either side with cut spandrels. Small 3-stage tower has 2-light window to 1st stage west with chamfered horizontal oval to head (renewed). Circular window to north with moulded stone surround, large clock faces to middle stage west and south with similar surrounds and 1-light chamfered bell-openings. Diagonal off-set buttresses and plain stone-coped parapet with plain pilaster slips to angles. Body of church has hollow-chamfered stone eaves. Ornamental ridge tiles to nave. Alternating bands of ironstone and limestone, to south aisle. Offset buttresses to angles of aisle and chancel. Tall elaborate C18 wrought-iron weather-vane to tower has been dismantled. Chancel has alabaster and marble reredos and dado to sanctuary with marble inlay trellis patterns to reredos, limestone quatrefoil sill band. Incorporates sedile with chamfered pointed arched head with painted and marble inlay decoration and triangular hood mould. Elaborate C19 carved corbels supporting arch-braced collar truss roof. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Slightly chamfered pointed tower arch. Funeral hatchment, oil on canvas. C19 stain-glass east window, east window south aisle dated 1908, south aisle windows of c.1920. Monuments: brass to Roger Salisbury d.1491 and two wives. Free-standing tomb chest to middle of chancel of alabaster with praying effigies of Lord Parr d.1546, uncle of Catherine Parr, and his wife Mary d.1555, daughter and cousin of John Salisbury. Inscription to top edge commemorating deceased: "Sir William Par Knight Lat Lorde Par of Horton and Lord Chamberlaine to the Queens Highness" and Mary his late wife. Five flat niches to long sides, separated by balusters. Mourners including bedesmen to niches, Leaf trail to plinth with hunters and hunting dogs. Pairs of shields to each end. Wall monument to Sir William Lane and family c.1580. Alabaster with strapwork and inscription to apron; small effigies of Sir William and his wife facing each other at prayer desk with children behind them flanked by obelisks and panelled pilasters, and topped by cartouche of arms flanked by winged sculls. Wall monument to Edward and Henrietta Montagu, 1756 by James Lovell. Pair of white marble urns in niches with pineapple finials. Veined grey marble ground. Inscription to apron, Tuscan pilasters flanking niches and supporting pediment with cartouche of arms. Swags and flower trails. Other C19 marble wall tablets to members of Gunning family. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp263-264; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, p261; Basil Clarke: The Building of the 18th Century Church, 1963, p72)

Listing NGR: SP8194154336

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Clarke, B - Title: The Building of the Eighteenth Century Church - Date: 1963 - Page References: 72
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1937 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 261
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 263-264

National Grid Reference: SP 81941 54336

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:08:01.