List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER (ARMENIAN CHURCH)

List entry Number: 1190125

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER (ARMENIAN CHURCH), CRANLEY GARDENS SW7

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityKensington and ChelseaLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203727

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/09/2012

TQ 2678 SE 55/42

CRANLEY GARDENS SW7 Church of St Peter (Armenian Church)

GV II*

Church. 1866-7, designed and built by the office of C J Freake, with additions by W D Caroe and others, principally of 1907-9 and 1922-3. Kentish ragstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof. Decorated Gothic style. Tower in north-west corner, with three-stage broach steeple. Vestries and hall on north side behind vicarage, by Caroe, 1907-9. Interior is cruciform with north and south aisles and transepts, apsidal east end. Four-bay nave arcade to crossing arch with clerestorey having alternate pairs of quatrefoil-headed and trefoil-headed lights; triple arches flanking transepts, and chancel arch to sanctuary. Nave walls originally polychrome brick, now whitewashed; west gallery by Caroe, 1909. Choir (under crossing) and sanctuary altered and embellished by Caroe and Passmore, 1922-3, with dormer lights, and reredos, sedilia, and canopy work richly carved by Nathaniel Hitch. Organ case on south side and gallery in north transept by Caroe. Morning chapel off north transept by Caroe, 1907-9, with lierne vault and carved figures by Hitch and Harold Whitaker, and Cosmati-style floor. Oak pulpit byJ S Alder, 1902. Stained glass by many hands, notably clerestorey windows by Mary Lowndes, 1904-6. St Peter's was built by C J Freake as an estate church for his building developments on the Smith's Charity Estate, complementing his previous St Paul's, Onslow Square (q.v.). Source: Survey of London, vol.41, 1983, pp.114-17.



Listing NGR: TQ2659778296

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Survey of London - Southern Kensington: Volume 41 - Date: 1983 - Journal Title: Survey of London - Page References: 114-17
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Survey of London - Southern Kensington: Volume 41 - Date: 1983 - Journal Title: Survey of London

National Grid Reference: TQ 26597 78296

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 07:14:57.