List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 88 (THE CHANTRY HOUSE) AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS AND GATEWAY

List entry Number: 1189997

Location

NUMBER 88 (THE CHANTRY HOUSE) AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS AND GATEWAY, 88, WATLING STREET EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityTowcester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235180

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOWCESTER WATLING STREET EAST SP6948 13/159 No.88 (The Chantry House) and 01/08/76 attached forecourt walls and gateway (Formerly listed as No.88 (The Chantry) and Forecourt Wall at No.88 (The Chantry House))

GV II*

House. C15 with considerable C18 and C19 alterations. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, slate roof, stone end stacks. 2-unit through-passage plan. 2-storey, 4-window range. C19 studded plank door to left of centre in moulded wood surround and late C18 pedimented wood doorcase. The door is recessed in front with remains of original jettied timber-framed first floor above. 3-light C19 wood mullion and transom windows to ground floor with stop-chamfered lintels. Projecting tower to left end, originally a stair-turret, with moulded stone coping. 3- and 2- light C19 casement windows to first floor with stop-chamfered lintels. Stone-coped gables with kneelers. Attached forecourt walls of coursed squared ironstone and limestone with ridged ironstone coping. C15 gateway to middle of front wall has chamfered jambs and many-moulded arch with 4-centred head. The wall is stepped up above gateway. Interior: 2-bay ground floor hall has moulded cross-beam ceiling and Tudor-arched stone fireplace with chamfered jambs and many-moulded head. Stone relief incorporated in wall probably C17 with allegorical figure of Victory blowing a trumpet. Built as a house for the two priests serving Archdeacon Sponne's chantry (q.v. Church of St. Lawrence), suppressed at the Reformation. Bought back in 1552 by the trustees of Sponne's Charity for use as a grammer school. Served as school and master's house until 1866, when it became a house. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.435; A Towcester Trail (leaflet), 1983, published by The Towcester Local History Society).

Listing NGR: SP6935648684

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 435
The Towcester Local History Society, , A Towcester Trail, (1983)

National Grid Reference: SP 69356 48684

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 04:06:08.