List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1189920

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict AuthorityGreat Doddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233390

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT DODDINGTON CHURCH LANE I SP88b4 (West side) 17/111 Church of St. Nicholas 28/05/54

GV II*

Church. Late C12, C13, C14, datestone 1737 and C19. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone and ironstone with lead and plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 4-window range of C14 two-light square-headed windows. South door with low-side lancet to left. C19 pitched roof with corbelled cornice and ashlar gable parapets and finial. 5-light east window has C19 tracery. North elevation of chancel of 3-window range with one lancet to left and two C14 two-light square headed windows to right with low-side lancets below. South aisle of 3-window range of 3-light windows, one with reticulated tracery, the others with C19 tracery, all with carved label stops. Similar east and west windows. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet. Gabled porch to left of centre has plain half round outer arch and pointed inner arch with roll moulding and C15 ribbed door. North aisle of 3-window range of 3-light windows, 2 have Y-tracery with cusping and one has reticulated tracery. North door to right of centre under pointed arch. Similar east and west windows. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet. Late C12 west tower is of 3 stages, setting back at each stage. 3-stage clasping buttresses to lower stage. Transitional west door has triple-stepped pointed arch with 3 shafts; 2 only with capitals. Round head lancet above. 2-light round head bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Plain ashlar parapet. Datestone on tower 1737 probably refers to restoration. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades of c.1300: double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. One pier on south side is earlier with nail head decoration. Double-chamfered chancel arch and triple-chamfered tower arch. Evidence of C12 transept on north side of nave, C19 roof structures. Perpendicular screen, parts reset. Jacobean 2 tier pulpit with hour glass stand. Late C17 communion rail with twisted balusters. C15 font cover has been restored. Late C12 sculpture in vestry is Satan and the apple of Eden. Wall painting south of chancel arch has crucifix with the Virgin Mary and St.John. Stained glass, fragment of medieval glass: in south aisle south-east window. Fragment of medieval floor tiling. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.232).

Listing NGR: SP8811564837

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 232

National Grid Reference: SP 88115 64837

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 03:01:25.