List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1189610

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, GRENDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict AuthorityEaston Maudit

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTON MAUDIT GRENDON ROAD SP85NE (North side) 9/51 Church of St. Peter and St. 28/05/54 Paul

GV I

Church. Late C13 and C14, restored C19. Squared coursed and regular coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and lead and plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows, that to left is a tall 2-light square-headed window with a low sill. C19 south door between with carved label stops. Steep gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and finial. 3-light C19 east window. North elevation of chancel is of one blank bay. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light square-headed windows with renewed tracery. Similar 3-light east window arid 2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. Gabled south porch to left of centre has double-chamfered and bracketed outer arch and moulded inner arch having plank door with decorated strap hinges. North aisle and chapel of 3-window range of 2-light square-headed windows, with some renewed tracery. 2 north doors between windows. Similar 3-light east window and 2-light west window. West tower of 4 stages with clasping buttresses to lower 2 stages. Perpendicular west door has decorated spandrels. 2-light window above. Small quatrefoil and trefoil to south and west faces of third stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of fourth stage. Plain cornice with gargoyles at corners open quatrefoil parapet above. Panelled pinnacles at corners and with flying buttress to a recessed spire. 3 tiers of lucarnes with carved heads at corners of lowest tier. Interior: nave arcades of 4 bays of C14 double-chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers. Double-chamfered chancel arch and triple-chamfered tower arch. Strainer arch to north chapel is supported on brackets and has upturned upper arch and openwork spandrels. Original moulded timbers in aisle roofs and C19 nave and chancel roofs. C19 triple sedilia and piscina in chancel and piscina in south aisle. Floor tiles of 1859-60 by Mintons designed by Lord Alwyne Compton have inscription in nave to Anne Cleveland Percy died 1770. C19 altar reredos. East window has C19 stained glass. C18 font with gadrooned bowl on square plinth. Pulpit 1860 has intricate foliage carving. Monuments: north chapel centre: Sir Christopher Yelverton died 1612 and his wife. Recumbent figures under coffered cross arches carried on 6 plain rectangular columns. Strapwork frieze and cornice with vases at corners and armorial panels between. Kneeling figures of 8 children in side panel of base. North wall: Sir Henry Yelverton died 1629 and his wife. 2 semi-reclining figures, he above her. Above is an inscribed panel surrounded by books on end and various linked symbols with winged cherubs above. Large caryatids representing hooded bedesmen to left and right. Arch above with 3 standing figures and 2 hour-glasses on sculls. 9 kneeling figures of children in base panel. Various C17 black marble floor panels to Yelverton family. 3 wall-mounted plaques to left of pulpit are the remains of Bishop Mortons monuments, died 1659. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.199; Easton Maudit and the Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul: Sir Gyles Isham).

Listing NGR: SP8886458819

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Isham, G, Easton Maudit and the Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 199

National Grid Reference: SP 88864 58819

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:16:30.