List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LILFORD HALL

List entry Number: 1189554

Location

LILFORD HALL, LILFORD PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityLilford-cum-Wigsthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232814

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LILFORD CUM WIGSTHORPE LILFORD PARK TL0284 16/91 Lilford Hall 23/05/67 GV I

Country house. Datestones 1635 and 1656 for William Elmes, altered C18 by Henry Flitcroft for Thomas Powys. Altered and extended mid C19 by W.G. Habershon of St. Neots and late C19 and early C20 by W. Dunn and R. Watson and others for Lord Lilford. Limestone ashlar with Collyweston slate roof. U-shape plan. 2 storeys with attic and part basement. Main Entrance Front to south west is probably 1635, restored C19. 9 bays with central and flanking flush gables. Central, single-storey, porch has arch-head doorway, with moulded keyblock, flanked by Roman Doric columns. Balcony above has balustrade of arches with central stalactites. Centre 7-window range of tall, 2-light, stone mullion windows with 2 2 transoms. Large flanking 2-storey bow windows of 8 lights with stone mullions and transoms. Balustrade to attic balconies, above boundaries, are similar to porch balcony. Venetian style, tripartite stone mullion attic windows, in flanking gables, have central arch-head lights. Similar, central, attic window has square-head centre light. 3 Dutch style gables with convex and concave parapets with intermediate finials and open ring apex finials. Gables are linked by open balustrade with intermediate finials. Raised bands linking ground and first floor window heads. Large central stack of 13 chimneys linked by arches was added c.1711 incorporating base of original stack with central roof access. Garden front to right of Main Entrance Front is of 7 bays. Flanking bays have flush gables similar to Main Entrance Front and bays to left and right of centre have intermediate gables. Mainly tall sash windows at ground floor, with plain surrounds, that to far left is now blind. Arch head window with flanking niches to first floor, far left. Venetian style windows to adjacent bay, at first floor, bay to right of centre and bay to far right. Other first fIoor windows are mainly 2-light stone mullion windows with transoms. Gables are linked by open balustrade, similar to Main Entrance Front. Ashlar stacks at ridge. First floor of 2 bays, to far right, is corbelled out and was added together with gable above in early C20. Elevation to left of Main Entrance Front is an irregular 10-window range of C17 and C19 stone mullion windows in similar style: 2 are Venetian style. 3 central gables. 2 bays to far left were raised early C20. Rear elevation to north-east has central 7 bays with projecting wings. Central, part-glazed, door has plain ashlar surround with stepped keyblock and cornice over. Flight of steps to door. 2-light stone mullion windows, with transoms, to ground and first floor and similar 2-light basement and later attic storey windows. Moulded stone cornice above first-floor windows has central bracketed pediment. Plain band between ground and first floor. Flanking wings have large lateral stacks immediately adjacent to centre range: right stack has date 1635 and left-stack has date 1656, both probably restored C19. Left hand wing has datestone 1858 and 1909, the latter refers to the addition of the upper storey. Upper storey of right-hand wing probably of same date. Both ends of wings have Dutch style gables similar to main entrance front and 3-window range of 2-light stone mullion windows, some with transoms. Central range has centre stack with 5 flues linked by arches. Interior: staircase remodelled by H. Flitcroft early/mid C18 with some C19 alterations. Spine corridor between entrance hall and staircase has plain arches with moulded cornices. Staircase around large open-well has 2 turned balusters per tread and scroll ends to treads. 2 Ionic columns support first floor landing with 2 Corinthian columns directly above. Walls are decorated with plaster panelling and swags. First floor doorcases are probably C19 with circular plaster panels above. Billiard room to far left of entrance has C17 panelling, probably reset and parts restored C19. Fireplace with 4-centred arch head has flanking wooden columns and overmantle with 3 pairs of columns and moulded cornice. Dining Room to right of entrance has C18 fireplace with scroll brackets and swags. Late C19/early C20 panelling incorporates hotplates and probably masks earlier decoration. Library to right of garden front has C19 bookcases and fireplace in C18 style. Music room to far right has early C20 panelling in C17 style. C17 archway to rear left of entrance gives access to domestic offices. C17 fireplace with 4-centred arch head in room adjacent. C19 kitchen with ranges. First floor rooms to centre and left of main entrance front: probably same date as staircase with C19 alterations. Centre room has fireplace overmantle with pediment and medallion. Dentilled cornice and circular ceiling panel. C19 medallion above door to right. Room to left has some C18 plasterwork. Ballroom to right has extensive plasterwork decoration and mirrored panels. Ceiling is probably C18 by Flitcroft, walls and ceiling have C19 embellishments. First floor rooms to garden front remodelled early C20. Fireplace in corridor is probably C17 origins with armorial device above. First floor room in west wing has C17 fireplace and room over kitchen has some C18 detailing. Remains of C17 long gallery, now subdivided; to attic storey of Main Entrance Front. Access via centre stack originally led to roof walk. William Elmes sold Lilford to Sir Thomas Powys in 1711 who was responsible for the internal remodelling. His great grandson was created Baron Lilford. The fourth and fifth Barons were responsible for much mid and late C19 and early C20 remodelling and extensions to the house. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.291; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.227; Colvin, H.M., A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects (1660-1840), p.311; Country Life, January 27th, 1900, p.112-117; Northamptonshire Records Office, Architectural Drawings collection; RCHM: unpublished research).

Listing NGR: TL0292884069

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1954 - Page References: 311
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 27 January - Date: 1900 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 112-117
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 291
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1930 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 227

National Grid Reference: TL 02928 84069

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 08:24:50.