List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1189077

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CASTLE WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHounslowLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Aug-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202467

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



787/37/416 CASTLE WAY 14-AUG-53 HANWORTH Church of St George

GV II*



Parish Church. Medieval and largely rebuilt by James Wyatt in c.1812; enlarged and remodelled in 1865 by S.S. Teulon in Gothic Revival, Decorated style. Masonry walls of greensand ashlar and other materials, Bath stone masonry details and tracery, polychrome slate roof. PLAN: nave, chancel, north chapel, north-east tower, north and south porches. EXTERIOR: Apsidal chancel with three arched windows within moulded hoodmooulds with carved angel label stops; carved eaves with trefoils and foliate supports; buttresses with crocketed finials. East window of three lancet lights below cinquefoil circle, flanked by two-light windows with cinquefoils; on south side, an additional two-light window with trefoil or quatrefoil circles, and a blind lancet window. North-east tower with broach spire with an adjoining transept. Five-stage tower supporting a broach spire with lancets on each side and a cruciform metal terminal. Arched and slatted belfry openings on each side below cornice table. Vestry door on the north side. Above is a slate clock face within a gabled aedicule with angel brackets. Buttressed north-east corner with door. Diagonal buttress to north-west corner carried on a moulded bracket at first floor level; attached to this is a flying buttress linked to a stone pinnacle. Adjoining the tower on the west side is a single-cell chapel with a steeply pitched slate roof: three lancet windows with cinquefoil circles set within moulded hoodmoulds with foliate label stops. Nave of four bays, divided by gabled buttresses, with moulded eaves brackets. North and south gabled porches: moulded arched openings enriched with doog-tooth ornament, carried on colonnettes with stiff-leaf capitals. Three windows to south side, two to north: each with similar tracery consisting of quatrefoils and trefoils over paired lancets. West front of masonry rubble construction with diagonal buttresses. Arched window within moulded hoodmould with carved head label stops. Window tracery, Decorated, consists of a circle with eight trefoils above two pairs of lancets surmounted with lobed trefoil. Round window in gable head above with three interlocking circles. INTERIOR: Hammerbeam roof with traceried enrichment above the collars, carried on angel-decorated corbels; diagonally set pitch pine ceiling to chancel and nave. Nave with complete set of pews. Fittings include the following. Stone reredos with serpentine marble and felspar enrichment. Organ by Hill, 1888. Carved oak screen to the north chapel incorporating parts of former 1914 chancel screen by Wood and Ainslie. Octagonal oak pulpit of 1890 with carved reliefs. Wall tablets in chancel to Sir Thomas Chamber d.1692 and Lady Catherine Burgess d.1803; floor slabs in chancel to Aubrey, 5th Duke of St Albans d.1802 and Admiral Sir James Wallace d.1803. Stained glass panels in north chapel include two late C15 angels; the arms of the Crosby family (late C15)and Killigrew family (1606). Other stained glass includes: south chancel window of 1866 depicting the Raising of Lazarus and of Jairus's daughter; memorial stained glass of 1881 in south windows of nave; west window of 1883 by Clayton and Bell showing scenes from the Life of Christ. Modern screen across west end (1993) with inserted panels including 1625 arms of James I. History: first mentioned in 1293, the church was substantially rebuilt in c.1812 to Wyatt's designs re-using earlier materials. Teulon added the chancel, porches and tower, retaining the walls and remodelling everything else. Andrea Cameron, 'St George's Church Hanworth' (1981 church guide), English Heritage historians' reports by Andrew Saint (1991) and Richard Lea (2000).

Listing NGR: TQ1125071880

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1911)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Middlesex, (1937)

National Grid Reference: TQ 11250 71880

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:16:41.