List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1189042

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, LOWER BENEFIELD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityBenefield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232737

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:- BENEFIELD LOWER BENEFIELD SP 98 88 13/16 Church of St.Mary GV 23.5.67 II The grade shall be amended to read:-

GV II*

------------------------------------

BENEFIELD LOWER BENEFIELD SP9888 13/16 Church of St. Mary 23/05/67 GV II

Church. Medieval origins, largely rebuilt c.1847 by John Macduff Derick for Watts-Russell family of Biggin Hall (q.v.). Restored 1897 and 1901. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roof. Aisled nave, chancel, north chapel, porch and west tower. Decorated style. South elevation of chancel is a 3-window range of tall, 2-light, windows. 2-stage buttresses between windows. Steep gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and finial. Five-light east window has reticulated tracery and may be re-used from earlier building. Flanking 2-stage buttresses and niche above. North elevation of chancel of one-window range similar to south elevation. North chapel abuts 2 bays of chancel. 2-window range of 2-light windows, all similar to the chancel. Separate gabled roof and lower eaves level. 2-light east window. Rectangular porch with lean-to stone roof in angle between chancel and north chapel. Doorway has Caernarvon head set in lean-to projection across outer corner. South aisle of 4 bays; 3-window range of 3-light windows with 4-centred arch heads. South door, in bay to left of centre, has 2-centred arch head and chamfered and moulded surround. All openings to this side have carved label stops. Flat 2-stage buttresses between windows have gablets to lower stage. Stone gutter with flower head frieze. Steep gabled roof with gable parapets, kneelers and finials. 3-light east and west windows with complex tracery. North aisle of 3 bays. 2-window range of 3-light windows under 4-centred arch heads. Steep gabled roof has stone gutter with corbel table decorated with ball flowers. Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials. Gabled porch, in centre bay, has doorways with 2-centred arch heads and floret decoration. 3-light west window. North transept breaks forward to left. 3-light north window has geometrical tracery. Small door in return wall. Octagonal stone flue at intersection of north aisle and transept. All openings have carved label stops. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 3-light and curved triangle windows, not visible behind aisle roofs. Steep gabled roof with stone gutter, ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finial. West tower of 2 stages with chamfered plinth and 4-stage angle buttresses to lower stage. Lower stage is probably medieval. Small C19 west doorway, with Caernarvon head has 2-light window above. 2 stairway slits to right. Quatrefoil circle in north and south face. Upper stage is c.1847 with pair of 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face. Moulded corbel table with gargoyles at corners. Octagonal, ashlar, broach spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches with circular and octagonal piers, each with different capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch with continuous responds. Polygonal respond of medieval chancel arch is visible to left side in chancel. Triple-chamfered tower arch, with polygonal responds, is probably medieval, restored 1847. Double chamfered arches to north chapel and north transept. C19 roof structures. Nave has arched braced trusses with curved wind bracing; chancel and north chapel are panelled, and have painted barrel vaults. c.1847 chancel screen and rood loft with wooden spiral stair. The rood figures above are c.1904 by Sir Ninian Comper. Painted wall decoration behind. Similar north chapel screen and organ case in north chapel. North transept screen. c.1926 has reset openwork centre panel of c.1700 and flanking turned balusters. Similar reredos to altar in north transept. This chapel was designed c.1926 by Hon. C. Yorke in memory of Captain Arthur Egerton Watts-Russell of Biggin Hall (q.v.). Encaustic tiled floors. C19 stained glass to east windows and south aisle windows, other windows have painted and coloured glass. 2 medieval misericords said to have come from Church of St. Mary and All Saints, Fotheringhay (q.v.). Altar reredos by Comper. C19 stone pulpit and C19 octagonal font. Monuments: Elizabeth Grant died 1698 inscribed brass tablet, north wall of chancel. Mark Lewis died 1620, marble slab in tower. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.105; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.76).

Listing NGR: SP9881288470

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 105
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 76

National Grid Reference: SP 98812 88470

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 06:33:13.