List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE

List entry Number: 1188847

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityWaltham on the Wolds and Thorpe Arnold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALTHAM HIGH STREET (South side) SK 8025 Church of St Mary 30/412 Magdelene 1.1.68

GV I

Parish church. C13 and C14, with Norman origins. Clerestory added and tower completed in present form C15. C17 and C18 repairs and alteration. Altered and restored from 1839. Nave extended one bay and further renovations 1850 by G G Scott. Coursed squared limestone with limestone dressings; lead roofs. Chancel, vestry, central tower, transepts, aisled nave and S porch. 3-bay chancel has 3-light E window with Decorated-style tracery, hood mould and label stops. 3-light window to N with 4-centred head and Perpendicular tracery. 3-light windows to S with Perpendicular tracery. That to middle of S side is lower and has 4-centred head, those either side have brattished transoms and all have hood moulds. Small blocked rectangular window near S-E angle with chamfered surround. Blocked priests' door to S. Chancel has chamfered plinth, moulded string courses including one at level of springing of principal chancel windows, and diagonal off-set buttresses. Datestone inscribed RB/1734 to E gable, another, probably of Coade stone with Gillett coat of arms and dated 1841. Vestry has 3-light E window with straight head and hood mould. Stone stack to N-E angle with octagonal stone flue. 2-light window to N with Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. Door to N with round-arched head, slight chamfer, imposts, diamond to key block and hood mould; ridged and studded door with ornamental hinges and ironwork dated 1839. N transept has 4-light N window with Decorated tracery and hood mould and label stops. Large ironstone off-set buttress to N-W angle. S transept has 4-light S window with reticulated tracery to 3-light E window with 4-centred head and Perpendicular tracery, both with hood moulds. Large off-set buttress and octagonal stone flue to S-W corner. 3-stage tower has cast-iron clock faces to middle stage dated 1839. 2-light bell-chamber openings with Perpendicular tracery, transoms and hood moulds. Frieze of quatrefoils and lozenges to base of plain stone-coped parapet, gargoyles and panelled and crocketed pinnacles to angles. Tall recessed, crocketed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions. Nave has clerestory of 5 windows with Perpendicular tracery, basket-arched heads and hood moulds. 4-light W window to nave with cusped intersecting tracery. Doorway below with 3 orders of filleted shafts and many moulded arch. N aisle has 3-light window to N-E with perpendicular tracery, triangular head and hood mould. Middle window of paired lancets with hood mould. Blocked N door with round-arched head and imposts (renewed). S aisle has triple lancet window to S-W and 3- light window to middle S side with stepped pointed heads to lights, both with hood moulds. C19 W bays of aisles have 2-light windows, with quatrefoils to heads. S doorway, renewed, has round-arched head with roll moulding and one order of shafts with fluted capitals. C19 S porch has shafts and double wave-moulded head and 1-light windows E and W. W end of nave is flanked by off-set buttresses. Diagonal off-set buttresses to W end of aisles which have plain stone-coped parapets. Foliated stone crosses to E and W gables. Interior: Chancel has piscina and credence shelf with trefoiled niches above, and 3-seat sedilia with crocketed ogee-arched heads and fleurons. Doorway to vestry with similar head and decoration. S transept chapel has large trefoil-headed piscina. Nave has 5-bay arcades, of which 3 easternmost bays are original. Octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals, and double-chamfered arches, polygonal responds. Perpendicular roof, extended C19, with arch-braced tie beams, angels bearing shields to intermediate rafters and carved stone corbel heads bearing wall posts. Font: C13 with octagonal bowl which is decorated with shallow attached shafts and interlacing beaded round arches and leaf forms in arches and one with Latin cross in mandorla. Octagonal shaft with similar decoration. Reredos: Tile and mosaic with central panel showing Last Supper. 1877, by Powell. Two brass chandeliers, the smaller with two closely-spaced tiers of 5 branches, dated 1741 and the gift of William Love. The larger has 2 tiers of 7 branches, dove and gilded wrought-iron support, presented 1834; early C18 from Grantham Church. Stain-glass chancel and aisle windows. Monuments: Iarge grey Tournai marble incised slab in vestry with worn effigy of priest, vested for mass. White marble diamond-shaped wall monument to Jane Greenfield, d. 1803.

Buildings of England, Leics and Rutland, 1984, p. 417-8. Guide by Rev. J. Hickling and D. Hurton (no date).

Listing NGR: SK8025425049

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hickling, R, Hurton, D, Guide to the Church of St Mary Magdelene Waltham Leicestershire
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 417-8

National Grid Reference: SK 80254 25049

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:40:26.