List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1188729

Location


CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL N21

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityEnfieldLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200581

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ENFIELD

790/11/87 CHURCH HILL N21 31-JAN-74 WINCHMORE HILL (Southwest side) CHURCH OF ST PAUL

II Commissioners' Church. 1826-7 by John Davies, refurbished after fire of 1844, Chancel added 1888-89. Yellow brick with stone dressings and shallow pitched roof behind parapet. EXTERIOR: West front features central gabled porch with crocketted pinnacles fronting stone frontispiece with ogee window rising to a small bellcote flanked by shorter stone pinnacles. This is flanked by thin ogee niches and corner stone crocketted pinnacles. The side elevations have pointed lancets and the main range terminates with pair of similar pinnacles, then the lower Chancel with canted east end. INTERIOR: Aisless church of one large open space with flat ceiling supported on pierced brackets. To East, high Chancel arch frames central East window of 1892 by Clayton and Bell illustrating the Ascension. Caen stone reredos has Devonshire marble shafts and shelf by Jones and Willis, 1899. Oak pulpit with Gothic canopy. To west end, a full width gallery with 3 bays defined by extremely shallow 4-pointed arches at ground floor and central bay with crocketted pinnacles. Marble octagone font on short clustered shafts with foliate band capitals, of 1892 by T.H. Knight and Sons, Teignmouth. Low South chapel of 1889 has East and South windows by Hardman. HISTORY: One of the Church Building Commissioners' churches built in the early-C19 to provide for urban growth after the Napoleonic Wars. Site was donated by Walker Gray of Southgate Grove.

Listed as an early-C19 Commissioners' Church that has economical but consistent early-C19 Gothic detailing, and with two later-C19 phases that contribute high quality fittings and decorative schemes.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31182 94659

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:49:14.