List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHILWORTH MANOR

List entry Number: 1188708

Location

CHILWORTH MANOR, BLACKSMITH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict AuthoritySt. Martha

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 21-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 288346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04 NW ST MARTHA CP BLACKSMITHS LANE

4/89 Chilworth Manor 14.6.67 (formerly listed under Halfpenny Lane)

GV II

House. Built in three stages - mid C17 range to south, possibly for Vincent Randyll, with C18 range to north joined by range to centre, circa 1930 by Alfred Mildmay. Sandstone rubble with brick dressings to south and centre portion, cement rendered on north end. Plain tiled roofs, hipped to south.

South range (entrance front) : Two storeys on brick plinth with brick plat band over ground floor and brick dentilled eaves. Brick frontispiece rising to Dutch, dentilled gable to left of centre. Rear stacks to left and right, larger to right with corbelled top. Regular front of four casements under 4-centred, arched, stone surrounds and gauged brick heads on each floor. Frontispiece with pilasters to both floors and central first floor window under roundel. Stone door surround to ground floor with pedestal pilasters flanking. Scroll brackets in entablature and brick keystone above double panelled doors. C19 extension to right end, single storey with attic under gabled dormers.

Left hand return front (west side): Recessed link between range to right and C18 range to left. Single storey and attic under three gabled, through- eaves, stone dormers with three casement doors below. Stacks to each end. Two windows on each floor of south facing side of left hand block, two windows on north facing side of right hand block. Glazing bar sash windows to left hand (C18) block, tripartite window to ground floor left, casements to right.

Rear (north facade): Two storeys, refaced in C19. Ionic pilasters to first floor in irregular pattern with cornice parapet. Two glazing bar sash windows and one blocked window to first floor. Casement doors below.

Interior: Some early C18 panelling on stairs and late C18 metal balustrade.

The house was once owned by Sarah, 1st Duchess of Marlborough, who is thought to have ordered the C18 extensions to the north.

Country Life articles: November 10 and November 17 1955. PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) page 156.

Listing NGR: TQ0272047855

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 156
'Country Life' in 10 November, (1955)
'Country Life' in 17 November, (1955)

National Grid Reference: TQ 02720 47855

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 03:58:06.