List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1188593

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, JERICHO LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityRedmile

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190247

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 7634-7734 REDMILE JERICHO LANE (West side) Barkestone-le-Vale 46/301 Church of St Peter and St Paul 3.8.79

II*

Parish church. Mainly C14 with C15 alterations. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, and south aisle added and clerestory rebuilt in 1840 by William Parsons. Restored 1857. Ironstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses. 3-light Perpendicular west window. String courses between storeys. Slit lights to ringing chamber and 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows. Crenellated limestone parapet with angle pinnacles. Plain octagonal spire. North aisle has 2 3-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches and a similar east window. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular windows of cast iron and an arched doorway. Chancel lit through 2-light arched windows. Interior. 3 bay arcade standing on compound piers: circular moulded bases and undercut capitals. South side is of 1840. Triple chamfered tower arch. Nave roof of tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels. King strut rises from ties to ridge piece forming triangular traceried openwork panels. Plain C13 drum font. C14 effigy in nave under ogeed wall arch with finial. C15 tower screen partly formed of doors from a chancel screen. Chancel roof as nave, but C19. 4 stall ends in chancel, with elaborate poppyheads and deeply undercut figures of saints and other carving: late C15.

Listing NGR: SK7777834938

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 77778 34938

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 03:13:53.