List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1188553

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityHoby with Rotherby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190234

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOBY WITH ROTHERBY RAGDALE

SK 61 NE Church of All Saints 1/295 1.1.68

GV II*

Church. C13-C15. Top stage of tower rebuilt C18 and chancel rebuilt 1787. Chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch and W tower. Ironstone ashlar, limestone and grey sandstone dressings, lead and sheet metal roofs. l-bay chancel has 4-light E window with cusped intersecting tracery and hood mould. Off-set angle buttresses and battlemented parapet with stone to E gable with raised lettering Which reads: GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO / ROBERTUS COMES FERRIUS / HOC SACRARIUM REEDIFICAVIT / ANNO DOMINI 1787. Nave has 3-window clerestory of 2-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights, 2-light window to NE, prdmbly of 1787, with cusped Y tracery and blocked chamfered N door with imposts. S aisle overlaps tower and has 3-light window to SE with intersecting tracery and hood mould. 2-light window to SW with Y tracery, hood mould and label stops and faucet W window. C18 6-panel S door, chamfered and hollow- chamfered doorway with imposts and hood mould in shallow C18 porch with battlement parapet with off-set angle buttresses and shafted doorway with moulded head. 2-stage tower has 2-light window to bottom stage W with quatrefoil to head and hood mould. Bell-chamber stage of red brick with limestone quoins and 2-light bell-chamber openings with blank quatrefoils to head and pointed trefoil-headed light. Chamfered stone eaves and pyramidal lead roof. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch, chamfer continuous outermost and polygonal responds innermost with moulded capitals. 3-bay S arcade with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded capitals those to E pier and E respond with foliage and heads. Screen in tower arch probably late C18 panelled and with Gothick tracery above. Font: Square with panelled sides. Stem has corner shafts with some nailhead ornament. Sculpture: Carved stone inside base of tower - a bare- headed bust with vestments and crozier under semi-circular hood mould. Probably Norman but possibly Anglo-Saxon. Stain-glass: Early C19 painted glass shields with arms of Shirley and related families. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p. 357.

Listing NGR: SK6614919930

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 357

National Grid Reference: SK 66149 19930

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 02:30:00.