List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1188549

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, VICTORIA ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBexleyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1980

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 57 NW VICTORIA ROAD

959/3/4 Christ Church

17.12.1980 II*

Parish church. 1874 by J P St Aubyn. Yellow stock brick with polychrome red brick decoration and stone dressings; red tiled roof. Mainly lancet windows, paired to nave. Aisled 5-bay nave, with entrances in narthex; almost detached north-west tower of 1914 with stone broached spire; chancel with buttressed polygonal apse; south chapel with polygonal apse; north vestry. INTERIOR: Nave arcade has round piers, with stiff-leaf capitals. Nave has three tier hammerbeam roof with curved braces supported on stone corbels. Chancel has five fine lancet windows by Hardman of 1875 depicting scenes from the Gospels, reredos of painted triptych of the Adoration of the Magi in a C15 Italian style by A O Hemming of 1904, stencilled decoration, triple sedilia and polychrome tiles. Nave has original carved wooden lectern, pews, stone and - granite font, wall tablet on west wall to Thomas Ruck, organist between 1881-1918 with mosaicwork cherubs and eight painted panels depicting scenes from the early history of the Church in England from the martyrdom of St Alban to the martyrdom of St Edmund by Ward and Hughes of 1906-9. [Pevsner BOE London South p277. Roger Homan "Victorian Churches of Kent". 1984. P54.]



Listing NGR: TQ5124677889

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bridget, C, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 277
Homans, R, Victorian Churches of Kent, (1984), 54

National Grid Reference: TQ 51246 77889

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:21:40.