List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1188547

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityHoby with Rotherby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOBY WITH MAIN STREET ROTHERBY (North Side) Rotherby SK 61 NE 1/298 Church of All Saints 1.1.68 II*

Church. C14 and C15 with Norman or possibly Saxon origins. Restored by W Millican of Leicester, 1882. Coursed and uncoursed limestone and ironstone rubble, with limestone dressings, lead roofs to nave, aisle and tower, swithland slate roofs to chancel, vestry and porch with ridge tiles. Chance1, vestry, nave, S aisle and porch, SW tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with renewed reticulated tracery and 2-light windows to S, that to SW a low-side window with transom, and both with Ogee-arched heads to lights and quatrefoil to head; all have hood moulds with label stops. C19 vestry to N has similar window and door with ogee arched head, both to N side. Nave has 3 bay clerestory of 2-light windows with Decorated tracery and hood moulds. Blocked N door with chamfered lintel and 2-light window to NE with straight head, reticulated tracery and hood mould. N wall below clerestory is of uncoursed rubble including granite and sandstone. W front has 3-light window with 4-centred head, cinquefoil-headed lights and hood mould. 3- light window at clerestory level inserted C19 with Perpendicular-style tracery, hood moulds and label stops. S aisle has 3-light E window with reticulated tracery and 3-light window to S with straight head and reticulated tracery, both with hood moulds. Triple hollow-chamfered S door with hood mould. Porch, added C19, has timber structure on low stone walls and barge-boarded gable. 3-stage tower has 2-light window to bottom stage W with quatrefoil to head and hood mould, small rectangular 1-light windows to middle stage and 2-light bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils to heads and hood moulds. Off-set clasping buttresses and battlemented parapet with quatrefoiled lozenge frieze to base of parapet and gargoyles to angles.Aisle has offset buttress between bays, offset angle buttress and plain stone- coped parapet. Battlemented parapet to clerestory. Interior: Chancel has piscina with blank trefoiled head. Nave has 3-bay S arcade with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches, polygonal W respond and carved head corbel to E end. Blocked round-headed arch above lower window at W end of nave. S aisle has piscina with chamfered arch and nailhead to hood mould. Nave has carved wood corbel, of former roof. Tower built within W end of S aisle has double-chamfered arches to E and N with polygonal responds. Royal Arms of George IV; oil on canvas. C19 altarpiece, oil on board, forming complete scheme of decoration to chancel with panelling and screen to arch between chancel and vestry. C17 communion table wien turned legs, partly renewed, and stretchers. Monuments: Wall monument in tower of veined white marble to Thomas Hartopp d.1727 and arms to shaped top; shaped apron. Also in truer slate wall monument recording benefactions of Mrs Catherine Gregory of Hoby in her will proved 1727. Other early-mid C19 wall monuments of white marble on slate grounds to member of Seaman, Burnaby and Cruttall Pierce families. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p363-4.

Listing NGR: SK6751916536

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984 - Page References: 363-4

National Grid Reference: SK 67519 16536

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 12:59:03.