List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1188455

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthoritySwinford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191472

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 57 NE SWINFORD CHURCH WALK

7/54 Church of All Saints 11/01/55 - II*

Parish church. Early C13, C14, C15 east end rebuilt in 1778, rebuilt and enlarged in 1895. Rubblestone with ashlar dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north vestry, south porch organ chamber, chancel, continuous plinth, continuous cornice, buttresses with set-offs. C14, 2-stage, west tower with 2 string courses. Diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet. West elevation: double-chamfered, pointed arch, west doorway with plank door. Above, a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window. Above in 2nd stage, a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light, louvred bell-opening. To left, 4 ascending loop holes. South elevation has remains of a chamfered window frame beneath C20 octagonal Swithland slate clock face dated "1819: Thomas Clark, James Wilson Churchwardens" clockface: Above, a bell-opening similar to that of west elevation. North and east elevations have similar bell-openings. Clerestory: north and south elevations the same, with four 2-light windows with chamfered, rectangular frames, and a similar C19 window in the chancel. North aisle: C19 single-light west window with hoodmould. Attached to north, C19 vestry, with coped parapet. West wall of vestry has a chamfered, pointed arch doorway with hoodmould and plank door, followed by 2 buttresses. East wall has 2-light window with chamfered square frame. North aisle again, from west to east; a chamfered, four-centred arch, 2-light window, then a buttress, followed by another similar window and another buttress. Similar window in east wall. South aisle from west to east; a C19 chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with hoodmould. C19 south porch with plain tile roof, coped gables with kneelers and cross finials. Diagonal buttresses. Chamfered, pointed arch, doorway with hoodmould and double plank doors. Small trefoiled window in east and west walls. Double- moulded, pointed arch, south doorway with C20 double doors. C19 sill band running from porch to end of aisle. To east of porch, a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with hoodmould, followed by a similar window. At the end of the wall, a scratch dial. C19 organ chamber in south-east corner with coped east gable with kneelers. Single 2-light window with square frame in south wall of chamber. C19 chancel continues roofline of nave. Polygonal east end with string course and buttresses. Single tall chamfered, pointed arch window in south-east face, another similar, in north-east face. North wall has large opening, bricked up, with brick segmental arch. Chamfered pointed arch east window with hoodmould. INTERIOR: narrow, double-chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds with capitals and bases. 3-bay nave arches, with double chamfered arches. North arcade has 2 C13 bays with to west, a rounded respond with capital with water leaf decoration, and base. Circular pier with octagonal abacus and capital with water leaf decoration, and base. To east a round respond with capital with water leaf crocket decoration, and base. To east again, a hiatus of wall, then a C14 bay with polygonal responds, with remains of capital on north side of west respond. South arcade has 2 bays to west with polygonal responds with partial capitals and bases, and similarly treated polygonal pier. To east a hiatus of wall , then a C14 bay with inner arch carried on polygonal corbels. C15 north aisle has plain doorway leading to vestry in north-west corner. C14 south aisle has chamfered pointed arch to organ chamber, and heavily-moulded ogee-arched piscina in south-east corner. C19 chancel and fittings. 3 steps up and divided from nave by a low stone screen pierced by quatrefoils in circles, terminating to north in polygonal stone pulpit with quatrefoils and trefoils in its sides. Panelled walls. Stone reredos with tracery picked out in gold. C19, altar table rails, pews, stalls, elaborate painted iron lectern. 2 portable organs. C12 drum font with decorative arching, set on 5 short shafts, 3 with twisted baluster form, possibly C17. C19 lid. MONUMENTS: nave: 3 hatchments on west above tower arch. 2 late C19 marble wall memorials flanked tower arch WWI single memorial on north wall. North aisle: large brass plaque mounted on marble, referring to endowment of Baroness Brave (d.1862) on north wall. Grey and white wall memorial to James Floyd (d.1817) on north wall at east end. South aisle: C20 wall memorial on south wall to east of door. WWI single memorial to west of door. Square wooden bequest board referring to James Floyd, above south door. Royal Arms in square wooden panel dated 1798, on west wall. Below this, C19 panelling inscribed with Ten Commandments. C15 roof with moulded beams and moulded trusses with bosses. C19 painted shields on truss ends. North aisle roof restored in C19 retains some C15 timber. South aisle and chancel roofs, C19. Stone flagged floors. C19 stained glass.

(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p.401)

Listing NGR: SP5694679428

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984 - Page References: 401

National Grid Reference: SP 56946 79428

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 11:33:58.