List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC

List entry Number: 1188319

Location

CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityCroxton Kerrial

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8029 CROXTON KERRIAL MAIN STREET (West side) Branston 39/343 Church of St Guthlac 1.1.68 II*

Parish church. C13 west tower with late C14 steeple. C13 nave and aisles, aisles with later fenestration. C13 chancel altered C15. South porch added 1872 and south aisle restored. 1895-6 new nave and chancel roofs and further restorations by Bodley and Garner. Ironstone with limestone dressings and lead roofs. Unbuttressed 3 stage tower, externally of 2 stages. Arched lancet to west. Lancets to ringing chamber and paired lancets to belfry under containing semi-circular super-arch. Late C14 limestone crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles below octagonal crocketed spire. 2-light south aisle west window with quatrefoil vesica: c. 1300. C19 gabled south porch. One lancet and one 3-light C19 window to east of porch. C19 chapel at east end of south aisle with 2-light windows. 2 3-light ogeed north aisle windows under square heads and, between them, an arched doorway. Perpendicular clerestory: 3 3-light panel tracery south windows under segmental arches; 3 2-light north windows under square heads. Perpendicular chancel windows, that to east of 5 lights. To north side a single C13 lancet. Priests' door to west end. Interior. 3-bay arcade on octagonal north piers and circular south piers. North piers with polygonal capitals with some nailhead ornament. South piers on waterholding bases and with undercut capitals. C19 nave roof of tie beams on arched braces, ridge piece and purlins. Triple chamfered tower arch and double chamfered chancel arch. C12 font: octagonal with engaged columns to stem and intersecting arches to bowl, with nailhead. In chancel an alabaster floor slab to John Spethyn, 1460.

Listing NGR: SK8096929517

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 80969 29517

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 08:42:04.