List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HALL PLACE

List entry Number: 1188277

Location

HALL PLACE, BOURNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBexleyLondon BoroughNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198649

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOURNE ROAD 1. 5005 Bexley Hall Place TQ 5074 10/10 1.10.53 I 2. Built by the Champneis family on the site of an older building. It is in 2 portions ; the north half of the house is C16 and forms a half H-plan. The north front is faced with a chequer pattern of stone and flints. Cornice and parapet. Slate roof. Two storeys. Central doorway with basket arch in moulded stone architrave surround, with fanlight of 3 lights. On each side of doorway is a tall canted bay with 8 lights, rising the whole height of the building, with stone mullions to the windows. Between the west bay and the west wing is a rectangular projection in the angle with a half-gable over. The wings are gable-ended and each have one window facing north. The inner face of the west wing has 3 windows and of the east wing 4 windows. All the windows are casements with stone mullions and have hoodmoulds. The west front of the C16 portion of the house is also of chequer-work with a projecting octagonal turret of chequer-work at the south end. It also has a 2-storeyed canted bay with 8 windows in 2 tiers and, to the north, another similar bay on the ground floor only. The east front is of stone rubble and flints set in galleting. It has 4 small rectangular projections rather like chimney breasts, some in fact having 2 flues and terminating in twin diamond-plan stacks. Behind it is the contemporary staircase, which has heavy posts terminating in balls and heavy turned balusters and moulded rail. The half-H wings each have one long room on the ground floor, with pine panelling. They are reached by a cross passage with timber-framed walls with curved braces above rail level. A central doorway leads into the great hall, which has a flat ribbed ceiling. In the west wing are 2 rooms on the upper storey with elaborate plaster ceilings ; the southernmost with a stone fireplace was the chapel. The south half of the house was added late in the C17 and forms a hollow square. Red brick. Stone string course, replaced in cement. Wooden modillion eaves cornice over cement band. Tiled roof. Two storeys and attic. The south front has 10 sash windows (with 2 blind) on ground floor in brick arcading with stone keystones above. On the first floor are 10 sashes with glazing bars intact. Five pedimented dormers to attic. Large central doorway in moulded wooden architrave surround and large pediment over on console brackets. The east front has a similar front of 11 windows and 2 hipped dormers, with sashes to upper floor and windows with wooden mullions and transoms to ground floor, with some opening as casements. At north end, stone doorway with moulded surround, with 4-centred arch flanked by windows with similar surrounds and oculi over in plain stone surrounds. The west front has 9 windows and 5 pedimented dormers; the windows are sashes to ground and upper floor. At north end is a single oval window in stone surround to each storey and there are blank ovals near the south end. The internal courtyard is entered through a wrought-iron gate on the south side. The north side of the courtyard, which is the south front of the central C16 wing, has a red brick tower of 4 storeys with an eaves cornice and an octagonal lantern over this. It has 2 windows and an oval window on each floor. The rooms round the courtyard are service rooms on the ground floor and bedrooms above. There is a mid Cl7 ceiling in the drawing room. Reference: P E Morris, Hall Place, Bexley (1920). Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: TQ5014574318

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Morris, P E - Title: Hall Place Bexley - Date: 1920
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 17 Greater London - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: TQ5014574318

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 01:48:46.