List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WISTAN

List entry Number: 1188263

Location

CHURCH OF ST WISTAN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityWistow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jan-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191139

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISTOW Church of St. Wistan (formerly SP 69 NW 2/116 29.12.66 listed as Church of St. Winstan) GV II * Church. C12 - C15, remodelled 1746, renovation 1815, and mid C19. Coursed rubble stone with stone dressings and Swithland slate and aluminium roofs, with low parapet. W Tower, nave and chancel under 1 roof, N vestry and vault, N transept and S porch. C15 tower of 3 stages with plinth, buttresses and diagonal buttresses with set-offs. SW stairs, 2-light window with C19 stained glass, 4 2-light bell openings and battlements. Double chamfered nave arch, the inner on stone corbels. N vestry and vault with leaded Gothick window and blocked windows and doorway. c1300 N transept, now Halford chapel. Blocked N window with Y tracery. 2 E windows of 1746 with semicircular arches and leaded lights. Mainly C15 chancel. Small blocked N windows and blocked N doorway. Large E window of 1746. Semicircular arch and leaded lights. 3 similar S windows to nave and chancel. Blocked S doorway with chevron moulded rounded arch. Small mid C19 S porch with Gothic archway. Fine mid C18 interior with box pews and hexagonal pulpit. Wrought-iron communion rails of c1730 and Halford chapel gates of later C18 (similar in design to staircase balustrade at Wistow Hall, q.v.). Carved wooden reredos with urn-topped pilasters and pediment is painted with Commandments, Lord's Prayer and Creed. C18 stone vase font. Fine series of wall monuments including those to Sir Richard Halford (d.1658, with alabaster effigy), Sir William Halford (d.1695), Sir William Halford (d.1768), Sir Charles Halford (d.1780) and 3 by Richard Westmacott, Jnr., to Sir Henry Halford (d.1844), his wife Elizabeth (d.1833) and Sir John Vaughan (d.1839). Rainwater heads inscribed 'HH 1815'. Pevsner and V.C.H., Vol.V

Listing NGR: SP6437095980

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Leicester - Date: 1964 - Volume: 5
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1960

National Grid Reference: SP 64370 95980

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 02:57:46.