List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1188196

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityTheddingworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191322

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THEDDINGWORTH SP68 NE MAIN STREET (South Side)

5/101 Church of All Saints

7.12.66

GV I

Parish Church. Origins in C12, though externally much is of C15, and it was restored in 1858 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed ironstone rubble with limestone dressings. Leaded roofs though plain tiles to chancel. West tower and spire, nave with two aisles and low clerestory, chancel and two flanking chapels. C15 tower of 3 stages with pilaster buttresses at angles and paired lights with transoms to bell chamber. Embattled parapet with large grotesque gargoyles clutching the angles. Recessed spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Buttressed south aisle with possibly C18 south porch with round headed arch and coped gable: The inner door has a heavy ogee arch beneath an outer hood mould and is probably C16. Windows are Perpendicular: Grouped round headed lights set beneath square hood moulds. South chancel chapel and chancel are C13 - C14, though the 3-light chancel east window is a Victorian restoration in the Decorated style. Buttressed north aisle and chapel with Perpendicular windows and Victorian half timbered porch: The inner door is victorian but its hood mould appears to be medieval. Limestone parapet to both aisles. Low and dark interior with tall double chamfered west tower arch of the late C13 set in a squared embrasure. Nave of 5 bays. The north arcade is late C12: Cylindrical shafts have trumpet scalloped capitals, and one of stiff leaf, with a wide splay up to the square abaci. The south arcade is slightly later, early C13 with clustered cylindrical shafts and double chamfered arches, still round headed. Outer hood moulds with corbel heads. The low clerestory has paired lights. Victorian nave roof with cusped braces to tie beam and traceried panels between posts above it. Late C13 chancel arch, steep and double chamfered, and round headed arches to north and south chapels. Chancel roof is vaulted in wood with ribs forming square panels, and painted, part of a complete scheme of decoration carried out by Sir G.G. Scott: The walls are treated in broad decorative bands with stencilled flowers in lower section, then a deep frieze: Mock ashlaring and angels and quatrefoil medallions and above these a row of arcading. Stencilled flowers also adorn the voussoirs of the chapel arches and over the east window is a full scale painting of Christ in Majesty. The tower space is also painted, the decorative scheme continues through the richly tiled floors and the furnishings, including the tall wood font canopy, the marbled pulpit, low marble chancel screen and the pews. The north chancel chapel takes up part of the north arcade and contains C16 and C17 tombs. The older of the two contains two recumbent effigies, probably Elizabethan or Jacobean, propped on their elbows, with the male figure above the female, both framed by an aedicule on a high predella, all of alabaster, richly decorated with strapwork, etc. On the predella there are the figures of children, 4 girls in low relief stiffly kneeling. No inscription but from the coat of arms the tomb is probably for George Chambre and his wife, of Hothorpe. A smaller tomb is mounted on the south wall in memory of George Bathurst and his wife Elizabeth: She bore him 17 children who are all depicted in low relief in the traditional manner beneath two busts in oval niches of the parents. There is also a painted organ by Snetzler, 1754. Stairs and doorway to roof loft visible. In the south chapel is a large monument of 1772 to G. Davies. It is a large piece with angled broken pediment surmounting an urn on a pedestal, with a fulsome epitaph. Tomb in South aisle to the Reverend Slaughter Clark and Rachel his wife, by Hayward, of 1772. Almost lifesize marble figures, he stands while she reclines on an urn. Stained glass: In the north aisle and north chapel, several windows of c1870-90 in a Renaissance style, the use of a lot of yellow in the classical architectural settings to figures of saints. The chancel east window of 1858 is in a medieval style as are the saints in the clerestory windows, the west tower window and the south chapel which is of 1863. There is more Renaissance style glass in the south aisle dated 1886 and 1889. C12 font beneath Victorian cover, a simple round basin with a moulded rim.

Listing NGR: SP6678085739

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 66780 85739

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:57:08.