List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1188153

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthoritySaddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191301

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SADDINGTON SP 69 SE MAIN STREET (South East Side)

2/80 Church of St. Helen

GV II*

Parish Church. Fabric of C13 to C14, the detail the result of a restoration in 1872-3. Ironstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. West tower nave with clerestory and chancel. Late C13 4 stage west tower: second and third stages are of banded ironstone and limestone. Paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. West doorway with continuous moulding and 2-light Decorated window above with re-cut tracery. Victorian style doorway in aisle of cobble stone construction, and Victorian tracery in a bland Decorated style to windows. Priests doorway in tall chancel in Decorated style though the 4-light east window is in the Perpendicular style. However the jambs of a medieval window are still visible in the east wall. North doorway is C14: shafts and richly moulded arch, flanked by tall Victorian statues contained in a Victorian gabled porch. Inside, the tall west tower arch has continuous double chamfering. The arcades appear to be late C13: clustered shafts support double chamfered arches. The chancel arch is of 1872/3, short shafts are supported by angels as corbels. Inside, the chancel is almost entirely Victorian in detail but the piscina is C14 with fleurons to the cusped arch, and there is a worn probably C17 alabaster tomb slab with an incised figure. Medieval font: a plain octagonal basin on a chamfered Victorian base.

Listing NGR: SP6581591781

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 65815 91781

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 08:58:17.