List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1188128

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityStanton upon Hine Heath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260142

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 5623-5723 STANTON UPON HINE STANTON UPON HINE HEATH C.P. HEATH

18/146 Church of Saint 28.10.60 Andrew

GV I

Parish church. C12. Remains of probably late C13 or C14 south aisle, C13 tower with late C14 belfry, porch dated 1593, and east end of chancel rebuilt in 1740 at the expense of Andrew Corbet. Church restored in 1891-2 at a cost of £1,350, partly by public subscription and partly at the expense of Francis Stanier of Peplow. Red sandstone; coursed rubble (some C12 herringbone work), dressed and ashlar with red and grey sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. Nave with north porch, chancel and west tower. Tower: 3 stages. Very large stepped diagonal west buttresses, that to north with datestone recording inter alia churchwardens: "Thomas Groome and William Dodkin (date and further inscription illegible at time of survey - January 1986). Offset to belfry with carved gargoyles at corners, coved parapet string with carved gargoyles at corners and battlemented parapet with moulded coping and crocketed pinnacles; weathervane. Louvred belfry openings of 2 cinquefoil- headed lights with Y-tracery, double-chamfered reveals and hoodmould. Inserted second square windows to north and south. Chamfered lancet in first stage to south, small lancet to west and late C19 square-headed window to north of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hollow-chamfered reveals. Nave: parapeted gable to east with coping, gabled moulded kneelers, and cross at apex. South side: wall rebuilt to right in late C19 after demolition of 2-bay aisle; moulded plinth and chamfered top and 2 buttresses. Three late C19 fourteenth century style windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds with chamfered block stops. C12 doorway off-centre to left with roll-moulded round arch, hoodmould, and C19 boarded door with strap hinges. North side: small C12 round-arched window to left, central C15 square-headed window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals and late C19 window to right of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with block stops. C12 round-arched doorway between first and second windows from right with inner roll moulding, one order of shafts with moulded bases and carved leaf capitals, chamfered impost blocks, roll-moulded outer arch, and remains of hoodmould; pair of C19 boarded doors with strap hinges. Stone porch with chamfered plinth and parapeted gable with chamfered kneelers, coping and apex finial. Moulded-arched doorway; pair of C19 boarded doors with strap hinges. Returns have 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows with leaded lights. Interior of porch: roof trusses with double-chamfered steeply-cambered tie-beams; side benches. Chancel; south side: chamfered plinth. C14 window to right of 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, altered with square head, and late C19 two-light window to left with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould. Evidence of blocked door or window (see section of moulded jamb) to left of central buttress. North side: 2 buttresses. Two small C12 round-arched windows, that to left with chamfered reveals. East end: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, and parapeted gable with moulded gabled kneelers, coping, and cross at apex. Three-light window with intersecting tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with block stops. Interior: probably C17 five-bay nave roof consisting of chamfered arch- braced collar trusses with struts above and springing from brackets with billet ornament. Pairs of purlins (lower set with billet ornament) with one tier of wind braces. Two-bay chancel roof consisting of chamfered arch-braced collar trusses with V-struts and springing from scrolled brackets. North and south doors with large round rear arches and reset C12 masonry in walls above with carved chevron ornament. Low blocked chamfered tower arch with inserted C19 boarded door. Blocked former 2-bay south arcade with chamfered outer reveals, central octagonal pier with chamfered base and capital, and double-chamfered arches. Evidence of former central north door to nave (see reveals and reused carved stone beneath central window). C19 double-chamfered arch with inner chamfer springing from small attached ¾ shafts, and hoodmould with carved stops. East window with chamfered rear arch and moulded string carried over as hoodmould. Small chamfered rectangular aumbry to north. Fittings include: sanctuary with raised and fielded and plain wainscot panelling raised to form reredos with carved panels. C17 communion table with carved bulbous legs and frieze. Mid-C18 communion rails with turned balusters, square piers with attached half-balusters, and moulded handrail. Late C19 pews and lectern. C18 polygonal wooden pulpit, 2 panels high with vertical fluting, guilloche ornament, panelled base and late C19 stairs with turned balusters. Late C19 octagonal stone font with chamfered base, and probably C17 or C18 cover with knob finial. Early C19 three- bay west gallery with reeded posts; late C19 boarded door with chamfered reveals from gallery to second stage of tower. Painted Royal coat of arms dated 1808. Hatchment. Benefactors' board above north door and 2 benefactors' boards in gallery. Evidence of former painted arcading flanking east windows. Plaque on north wall of chancel inscribed: "Andrew Corbet/of Moreton Corbet Esq /Patron of this Church rebuilt this Chancel End/in the year of our Lord/1740" and "This chancel/was again restored/by the patron/Francis Stanier esquire/of Peplow 1892". Plaque on south wall of nave inscribed: "The nave and tower/of this church were/restored and the cost/defrayed by public/subscription 1892". The church stands on a raised circular platform. B.O.E., p.292; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 8, p.725.

Listing NGR: SJ5680923788

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Volume: 8 - Page References: 725
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 292

National Grid Reference: SJ 56809 23790

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 10:36:31.