List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1187989

Location

CHAPEL OF ST MARY, THEDDINGWORTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityHusbands Bosworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191280

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUSBANDS BOSWORTH SP68 SW THEDDINGWORTH ROAD (South East Side)

8/59 Chapel of St. Mary

GV II*

Chapel. 1873 by A.J. Purdie, a pupil of Pugin. Early French Gothick style, and strict Puginian principles. Rusticated limestone blockwork with ashlar dressings and roof with fish scale tiles. Nave, chancel and Lady Chapel to north. Main entrance to north west in porch with moulded arch which dies into a straight chamfer. Statue niche below gable coping that terminates in gablets. Lancet windows to nave. North chancel chapel with western rose window and angle butresses, and paired trefoiled lights; This chapel terminates in a canted apse. Chancel east window of five foiled lights with transom contained beneath three larger lancets surmounted by a rose window. Paired lancets to south and four foiled lancets lights to the west with rose window above, at an upper level and smaller grouped lancets below. All the tracery is of a spare clean design. Eastern bellcote with finial. Partially detached vestry to south with gathered chimney. Inside the church represents a complete expression of Puginian principles retaining all its original detail. West gallery with copious chamfered woodwork. Steep timber trusses to nave roof. Richly moulded chancel arch with cylindrical shafts and foliate capitals capped by square abaci. Steep rib vaulted chancel roof with quatrefoil lights of stained glass angels set into it. Two bay arcades to north Lady Chapel. Rich decorative scheme throughtou. Encaustic tiles with Turville emblems, ornate altar rails and reredos. Wall painting throughout by romaine Walker in 1900. Gilded stencils on all walls, gilded capitals above shafts painted in bands or chevrons of bright colours. The chancel walls are crowded with the figures of Saints and Angels with golden halos and wings. Stained glass by Hardman: Individual figures in each light, some as late as the 1940's. Memorial to Francis Fortescue Turville, 1889, in the Lady Chapel. A recumbent marble effigy.

Listing NGR: SP6464384407

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 64643 84407

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 09:54:25.