List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ORANGERY AT NORTH END OF ITALIAN GARDEN 200 METRES NORTH OF BELTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1187972

Location

ORANGERY AT NORTH END OF ITALIAN GARDEN 200 METRES NORTH OF BELTON HOUSE, BELTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBelton and Manthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382869

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9239 BELTON PARK, Belton 1315-0/8/86 (North side) 19/02/52 Orangery at north end of Italian garden 200m north of Belton House (Formerly Listed as: BELTON PARK, Belton Orangery) GV II*

Orangery. 1821. Designed c1811 by Jeffry Wyatville. Ashlar with glazed hipped roof. Classical Revival style. Plinth and cornice. Balustrade of Coade stone, with panelled corner pedestals. Single storey. 9 x 3 fully glazed bays, the end bays narrower, divided by pilasters. Front and returns have steps. At the rear, a square projection topped with 3 stumpy round ashlar flues. On either side, a lower flat roofed projection with a window and a door below it. INTERIOR has a cast-iron structure. One of several estate buildings by Wyatville for the first Earl Brownlow of Belton House, c1810-1820. This building appears within Belton Park which is on the Garden Register at grade I. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139; Marsden J & Barber A: Belton House: London: 1985-1987: 45-46).

Listing NGR: SK9293439512

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Marsden, J and Barber, A - Title: Belton House - Date: 1985-1987 - Page References: 45-46
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 27 Lincolnshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 139

National Grid Reference: SK 92934 39512

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:40:20.