List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY AND SAINT PETER

List entry Number: 1187962

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY AND SAINT PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityHarlaxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382954

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARLAXTON SK8832 CHURCH STREET 1315-0/14/148 (West side (off)) 20/09/66 Church of St Mary and St Peter GV I

Parish church. Nave north arcade late C12, south arcade and south aisle early C13, tower early C14, chancel south arcade and south chapels c1325-1350, tower bell stage, spire and clerestorey late C14, east end c1400, north chapel and north aisle early C15. South porch rebuilt 1858, in the course of extensive restoration. Further heavy restoration 1890, by John Oldrid Scott. Chancel with side chapels, nave with clerestorey and aisles, south porch, west tower with spire. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone ashlar, with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. Perpendicular style. Moulded plinth, sill band and buttresses throughout. Windows have hood moulds or label moulds. Chancel and side chapels have string course, crenellations with pinnacles, and coped east gable. East end has a central segmental pointed 5-light window with transom, flanked to north by a pointed arched 4-light window with intersecting tracery and to south by a smaller 3-light window. South side has 2 wide Tudor arched windows, the east with 2 groups of 3 lights, the west with 5 lights, Under the west window, a 4-centred arched door. North side has a central flat headed window flanked by pointed arched windows, all 3 lights. Clerestorey has coped parapet and east gable with cross On each side, 4 segmental pointed 2-light windows with panel tracery. South aisle, 5 bays, has flat headed windows, three with 3 lights, one to west with 2 lights. North aisle has string course and crenellations, and three 3-light flat headed windows. Between the western pair, a pointed arched doorway with hood mould and finial. West end has a similar window. South porch has coped parapet and gable with cross. Pointed arched doorway with hood mould and shafts. On each side, a traceried flat headed 2-light window. Moulded inner doorway with shafts, and low pitched roof. Square west tower, 4 stages, has clasping buttresses to the lower stages and angle buttresses above. Crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Set back octagonal crocketed spire with a single tier of lucarnes and finial. Lowest stage has to west a Decorated 2-light window without hood mould. Above, a single lancet on each side, and above again, a 2-light window with tracery on each side. Bell stage has a 2-light opening with panel tracery and transom on each side. Interior, rendered, has mid C19 low pitched arch braced roof with angel corbels to nave and chancel. Similar lean-to roofs to aisles and chapels. Chancel has double chamfered arch with chamfered responds and crenellated caps. Late C19 Perpendicular screen. The east window, c1870, is flanked by canopied niches with C19 figures. South side has a 2 bay arcade with double chamfered arches and demi-shafts to the centre pier, and C19 traceried screens. North side has a similar arcade with a quatrefoil central pier. South chapel east window, c1916, is flanked by canopied niches. Below, to left, a blocked 4-centred arched door. South side has a piscina and aumbry with crest, then a restored crocketed tomb recess and beyond, a stoup and a doorway. Stained glass west window c1892. North chapel east window has a canopied niche to left and a bracket to right. On the south east side, a piscina. Nave north arcade, 4 bays, has a section of wall between the west bays. Chamfered arches and round piers, with ribbed leaf capital to the east pier. South arcade has double chamfered arches with hood mould and mask stops, and octagonal piers. Double chamfered tower arch with octagonal responds and C20 Perpendicular screen. South aisle has at the east end a Tudor arched doorway to the rood loft, with another doorway above, and a square double aumbry. Stained glass east window c1860. At the west end, a reduced opening with a pointed arched door into the west bay. North aisle has a stained glass window, c1888, and a moulded arch with round shafts at the east end. Fittings include a recut octagonal font, c1400, and octagonal ashlar pulpit, 1869. Chairs, stalls and other furnishings late C19 and C20. Stained glass by Powell & Sons; chancel east window by Ward & Hughes, south aisle window by Cox & Sons. Memorials include a restored canopied niche in the north chapel with 2 alabaster figures, early C15, and a similar empty niche in the south chapel. 2 C18 tablets with crests and aprons. Marble topped chest tomb, 1682, to Daniel de Ligne. 2 marble and slate tablets, and Royal arms in quatrefoil, early C19. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361; Spiegl P: The Parish Church of St Mary and St Peter, Harlaxton: Harlaxton: 1987-).

Listing NGR: SK8826832644

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Spiegl, P - Title: The Parish Church of St Mary and St Peter Harlaxton - Date: 1987
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 361

National Grid Reference: SK 88268 32644

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 06:28:31.