List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STRATFORD UPON AVON GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

List entry Number: 1187858

Location

STRATFORD UPON AVON GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, SHOTTERY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366412

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP1854 SHOTTERY, Shottery 604-1/5/315 (East side) 25/10/51 Stratford-Upon-Avon Grammar School for Girls

GV II*

Formerly known as: Manor House Farmhouse Shottery. Shewn on OS map as Shottery Manor. Manor house, now school. Probably originally a farm building, the property of Evesham Abbey (mentioned in document of 1402); converted to house in C15, windows of late C17; altered and part demolished in mid to late C18; early to mid C20 additions. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings; renewed tile roof with rebuilt brick stack to front of ridge and other brick stacks. Half-H plan and single storey south wing. 2 storeys; 10-window range, but some windows blocked. Central entrance has brick 4-centred moulded arch with dripstone and old battened door. Windows have lintels with keys over wooden cross-casements with leaded glazing; ground floor has 3 windows to left of entrance and brick-blocked window to left end; 2 canted bay windows to right of entrance, with hipped roofs and 1:3:1-light transomed and leaded windows below lintels to original windows, 2 such lintels over entrance; 1st floor has 5 glazed and 5 blocked windows, one brick-blocked; C18 gabled dormer to right half. Rainwater head with Harewell arms; attached convex walls to ends. Timber-framed gable to left return; 1st floor has 5-light ovolo mullioned and transomed window. Rear has later 2-storey projection with parapet and balcony on timber posts between re-entrant blocks, one a porch. Wing to left is brick with timber-framed 1st floor; large external end stack and return Tudor-headed entrance with heavy frame and plank door. Wing to right has cross wing enclosing balcony and stair to inner return; stone with brick 1st floor. INTERIOR: exposed original rear wall; hall and entrance lobby have C17 panelling with top fluted panels, chamfered beams and plasterwork motifs to ceiling, fireplace with hollow-chamfered bressumer and plaster overmantel with 3 panels, inverted rose sprigs flanking Harewell arms; room to left has C17 panelling and chamfered beams, and bressumer to brick fireplace; room to right has C18 fireplace and round-headed cupboard; stair has square turned balusters and newels; window to landing has armorial glass, some panelling to end; left end has good C15 three-bay hammerbeam roof, originally longer, 3 trusses with arch-braced hammer beams with arch-braced collars, moulded members, double purlins with window braces; large brick chimney breast, stepped in to top, with C20 ashlar Tudor-arched fireplace and cornice. HISTORICAL NOTE: the manor was owned by Evesham Abbey until some time in the C14 and was the property of the Harewell family 1402-c1746, and of the Flower family of Stratford from 1919. (VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 17; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 397; Belton J J: Shottery the Mother of Stratford; reprint from Scene: 1950-: 524-5).

Listing NGR: SP1891154663

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 397
Styles, P, The Borough of Stratford Upon Avon and the Parish of Alveston, (1946), 17
Belton, J J , 'Scene' in Shottery The Mother Of Stratford, (1950), 524-5

National Grid Reference: SP 18911 54663

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 05:51:11.