List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GARRICK INN

List entry Number: 1187814

Location

GARRICK INN, 25, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366288

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW HIGH STREET 604-1/10/122 (West side) 25/10/51 No.25 Garrick Inn

GV II*

Public house. c1596; facade heavily restored c1912, replacing c1800 brick front. Timber-frame with plaster infill; tile roof with rear brick stacks. 3 storeys; symmetrical 2-window range. 1st and 2nd floors jettied on brackets, moulded bressumer to 2nd floor; two C20 gables to attic with enriched barge-boards. Entrance to left end has stained-glass overlight to plank door. Ground and 1st floors have 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows, those to ground floor with continuous row of small square lights above; attic has 2-light windows; all with leaded glazing. Upper floors have square framing with concave-sided diamonds. Early C20 bracketed timber sign board. Rear wing with cross-axial stack. INTERIOR: exposed timber-framing and beams. HISTORICAL NOTE: said to have been the place where the plague of 1564 started and to have been an inn from 1718; name changed from the Greyhound to the Garrick in 1795, in honour of David Garrick, who did much for the town's tourist trade by his encouragement of enthusiasm for Shakespeare. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 40; Fogg N: Stratford-upon-Avon: Portrait of a Town: Chichester: 1986-: 16, 100; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 72).

Listing NGR: SP2010754876

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Forrest, H E - Title: The Old Houses of Stratford upon Avon - Date: 1925 - Page References: 72
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Fogg, N - Title: Stratford Upon Avon Portrait of a Town - Date: 1986 - Page References: 16
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Bearman, R - Title: Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings - Date: 1988 - Page References: 40

National Grid Reference: SP 20107 54876

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 12:09:31.