List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1187808

Location

1, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366279

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW HIGH STREET 604-1/10/113 (East side) 25/10/51 No.1 (Formerly Listed as: STRATFORD ON AVON HIGH STREET No.1 Judith Shakespeare Cafe)

GV II*

Town house, now office. c1600 with earlier cellars; early C19 alterations; 1923 restoration. Roughcast to earlier timber-frame on coursed rubble plinth; hipped renewed-tile roof with brick end stack. Exterior conjectured by Forrest to have had 2 jetties to each side, and gable to Bridge Street. 3 storeys; 2-window range. Wide eaves and bracketed lead gutter. Early C20 shop front with small-paned glazing and similar paired doors, fascia extends around corner. Upper floors have projecting wooden-mullioned and transomed windows of 4 and 5 lights with leaded glazing. Canted ground floor angle has embossed lead plaque recording the building's Shakespearian connections and its restoration for the partners of WH Smith and Son, whose shop this was 1906-22. Return to Bridge Street similar; entrance to left of shop window; cross-axial stack. INTERIOR: cellar has stone walls and enriched plaster ceiling and cornice, interrupted by later partitions. Ground floor has heavy beams and dragon beam to left of entrance, and flat joists rebated for floorboards; C20 stair. 1st floor has 2 rooms with posts to former partition wall; stone fireplace to right end; attic has tie-beam and collar trusses, one truss with close-studded infill; close-studded rear and right return walls and right end fireplace. HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly the property of Richard Quiney and the home of Shakespeare's daughter Judith who married Richard's son Thomas in 1616. The cellar is said to have been part of an early town gaol, known for a period from c1470 as The Cage, used for wine storage by Richard Quiney. Records: c1381. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 41; History of the Streets of Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: High Street: 1971-1974; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 61-2).

Listing NGR: SP2018154972

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 41
Bearman, R et al, History of the Streets of Stratford upon Avon, (1971-1974)
Forrest, H E, The Old Houses of Stratford upon Avon, (1925), 61-2

National Grid Reference: SP 20181 54972

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:15:33.