List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FALCON HOTEL

List entry Number: 1187771

Location

THE FALCON HOTEL, 1,2 AND 3, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366172

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET 604-1/10/28 (North West side) 25/10/51 Nos.1, 2 AND 3 The Falcon Hotel

GV II*

Town house now hotel. c1500; 2nd floor added c1645; C20 restorations. Timber-frame and plaster and later brick on coursed rubble plinth; tile roof with original central brick stack with rebuilt diagonal square shafts and end stacks. 3 storeys; 7-window range. Upper storeys jettied on joist ends. Tudor-headed entrance to left of centre has tiled pentice and paired battened doors; right end entrance has C20 glazed door and side lights. Windows have leaded glazing, most with ovolo-moulded mullions and transoms: ground floor has 3-light transomed rectangular bay windows flanking entrance, and 3-light windows to left and right; to right of these a 4-light transomed bay window and 2 cross-casements, 3-light window to right end; 1st floor 7 restored 3-light transomed casements, three to left end flanked by original short 3-light windows; 2nd floor has 3-light windows. Close-studded framing. Left return has 3-light transomed bay window; rear range former stable block of single storey with attic; modillioned brick cornice; 2- and 3-light windows and one 12-pane sash; 8 gabled dormers. INTERIOR: exposed chamfered beams and close-studded framing; front room has C17 panelling; some stone fireplaces with timber bressumers; room to rear has early C19 painted glass window. Recorded as an inn from 1655-61; The Royal Shakespeare Club held its annual dinner here from 1824. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 418; Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 20).

Listing NGR: SP2003954760

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 20
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 418

National Grid Reference: SP 20051 54761

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:29:52.