List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1187755

Location

FORMER PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366130

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP25NW ALVESTON 604-1/2/269 Former Parish Church of St James 25/10/51 (Formerly Listed as: ALVESTON Old Parish Church)

GV II*

Chancel of former church. C18 with C19 west wall and C12 ex-situ tympanum. Painted brick on ashlar plinth, with red brick and ashlar dressings; tile roof. Raised brick quoins and top moulded brick cornices; ashlar-coped gables. EXTERIOR: east window with 3-centred head and lancet tracery. South elevation has blocked entrance to left, with brick infill to plinth, and pointed window to right with ashlar surround and plain panel above; 3 large wall memorial tablets with worn inscriptions, one nowy-headed. Plain pointed west door with plank door with straps, lancet above. INTERIOR: tunnel-vaulted ceiling; south wall has re-set C12 tympanum in entrance recess, with worn carving of interlace, flowers, and lamb and lion, 2 scalloped and fluted capitals. FITTINGS: C17 panelled timber pulpit with enriched frieze and cornice, panels with concave angles. Painting: C18 Hanoverian Royal arms to south side. MEMORIALS: Nicholas Lane, d.1595, upright recumbent effigy apparently intended to be set upright; gadrooned edges to slab with fishscale diapering; flattened figure in C16 dress with applied face, hands and feet, standing on block with relief couched lion, 2 small flanking figures, kneeling in prayer. Flanking arched panels with male and female kneeling figures facing east, each with cartouche panel above. Inscription panel above has enriched strapwork border. Other good C18 and C19 wall tablets, including tablet to Newsham Peers, d.1743 from wounds received at the battle of Dettingen, veined marble with panel, scrolls to sides, broken segmental pediment with armorial bearing, and apron with cartouche; Newsham Peers, d.1820s, and wife: black marble tablet with white marble oval panel and armorial bearing above with drapery tied at angles. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 65, PL 26B; VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 71).

Listing NGR: SP2307956696

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 65
Styles, P, The Borough of Stratford Upon Avon and the Parish of Alveston, (1946), 71

National Grid Reference: SP 23079 56696

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 07:21:48.