List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOVE RAILWAY STATION AND FOOTBRIDGE

List entry Number: 1187584

Location

HOVE RAILWAY STATION AND FOOTBRIDGE, STATION APPROACH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365616

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ2805NE STATION APPROACH 579-1/12/106 (North side) Hove Railway Station and Footbridge

GV II

Railway station, including earlier railway station, and footbridge. Earlier building 1865-6, main building 1879, footbridge 1880s, station forecourt 1905. The architect of the main station was possibly F.D.Bannister. Main station in classical style, earlier building in Tuscan villa style, and very similar to Portslade Railway Station (qv). Main building: red brick, grey brick plinth, stone dressings and quoins, hipped bitumen covered slate roof with skylight, corrugated plastic sheeting to hipped roofs of station forecourt with cast-iron columns. Plan: booking office with L-plan forecourt to south, 2 platforms with pedestrian bridge to north, (the bridge now linking Station Approach with Hove Park Villas with platform entrance closed), earlier station to east of booking office. Main building: single-storey, 7 bays, quoins to openings linked by continuous entablature, sash windows with 6-pane upper lights, lower lights without glazing bars, 2 pedimented entrances with panelled double doors to booking office, double doors adjoining. Canopy carried on ornate fluted cast-iron columns with capitals and decorative brackets carrying ties, ornate stanchions to roof, shields with initials SLBC (South London and Brighton Railway Company) incorporated in ironwork entablature; the simpler pieces of iron work are thought to be renewals. Earlier station: render over brick, bitumen covered hipped slate roof, bracket cornice; 2 storeys, 2:4:2 bays, end bays break forward slightly, segmental-headed window openings, moulded surrounds and sash windows without glazing bars. Main block flanked by 2 bay, single-storey, rusticated wings, similar fenestration. At junction of the 2 stations, single storey, 2-bay painted brick kiosk with hipped roof and cresting to ridge. Interior of main station distinguished by console brackets to 5-bay queen post roof, cast-iron columns to platform canopies, plasterwork ceiling to waiting room, and remains of fine pedestrian bridge with twisted columns with acanthus leaf capitals surviving in places, also original cast-iron balusters. The original railway station, known as Cliftonville, was closed in 1879 when the new station, then known as West Brighton, was built; in 1895 it was known as Hove.

Listing NGR: TQ2888805548

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 28888 05548

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:38:32.