List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JAIPUR GATE IN GARDENS OF NO 19

List entry Number: 1187580

Location

JAIPUR GATE IN GARDENS OF NO 19, NEW CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365600

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ2804NW NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington 579-1/16/150 (North side) Jaipur Gate in gardens of No 19

II

Naqqakhana or drum platform. Built 1886, erected here 1926. Carved in Shekhawati, Rajastan, India, for the Maharajah of Jaipur who sent it to the Colonial and Indian Exhibition, South Kensington, 1886. Wooden construction of Bombay teak on concrete plinth with painted metal dome. Plan: 2-and-a-half-bay loggia, pierced balustrade, surmounted by central cupola or chatri: no means of access to upper platform. All surfaces covered with floral and geometrical carving, entablature with inscriptions in English, Latin and Sanskrit: "Where there is truth - is victory" (west front), and "From the East comes light" (east front), deep overhanging eaves with carved soffit. This is a reproduction in wood of the drum platforms built of marble or sandstone in Northern India from which drumrolls or fanfares in honour of rulers or deities were sounded. It was presented to the Town Corporation by the Imperial Institute when the adjoining Museum and Art Gallery, (not included), was opened in 1926. (Middleton J: A History of Hove: 1979-).

Listing NGR: TQ2819404897

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Middleton, J - Title: A History of Hove - Date: 1979

National Grid Reference: TQ 28194 04897

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 07:06:34.