List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARNABUS

List entry Number: 1187547

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARNABUS, BYRON STREET
CHURCH OF ST BARNABUS, SACKVILLE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Nov-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365504

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ20NE BYRON STREET 579-1/3/26 (North side) 10/09/71 Church of St Barnabus (Formerly Listed as: SACKVILLE ROAD Church of St Barnabas)

II*

Church. 1882-3, carving of capitals completed 1923. Architect J.L. Pearson. Early English style. Knapped flint with red brick and Bath stone dressings, clay tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles. Cruciform in plan: apsidal ended chancel facing on to Sackville Road, north and south transpets, NE organ bay and vestry, SE Lady Chapel, 4-bay aisled nave with blind clerestory, gabled porch in NE corner onto Coleridge Street, entrance now in SW corner from Byron Street across the site of the tower which was never built; there is a lead covered fleche with bell over the crossing. Interior: the originally exposed red brick has been white-washed. Undivided nave and chancel with crownpost open rafter roof, aisles rendered and cross vaulted. Marble tessera pavement to sanctuary. A handsome square alabaster font on red marble columns, oak pulpit and choir stalls all designed by Pearson, the latter in 1893. Panelling in apse carved with figures of saints, 1902. Large and ungainly reredos by G.F.Bodley of Bodley and Garner, erected in 1907, the year of the architect's death. The organ by J.C.Bishop and Son occupies the south wall of the north transept; it was purchased from St George's Chapel, Albemarle Street, London, in 1904 and has since been rebuilt and enlarged. Gilded metal rood screen early C20. Unusual altar table in the Lady Chapel of gilded black laquer: two sturdy legs of clustered columns with teardrop capitals and an oak leaf decorated entablature, early C20 and rather fine. Wooden eagle lecturn donated 1927; much stained glass: 5 lancets in chancel by Clayton and Bell. Striking West window, a memorial to the dead of the First World War, dedicated 1923. Three oil paintings on canvas including an early C19 version of Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper measuring 10ft by 17ft. A similar if not identical church design was offered by Pearson for St Mathews, Silverhill, St Leonards in 1884. This was completed more or less according to his plans, including the tower which was not built at St. Barnabus. (McDonald TJ: The First Century of St Barnabus: 1982-).

Listing NGR: TQ2843605480

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: McDonald, T J - Title: The First Century of St Barnabus - Date: 1982

National Grid Reference: TQ 28436 05480

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 12:17:30.