List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1187545

Location

64, BRUNSWICK STREET WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365498

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ2904NE BRUNSWICK STREET WEST 579-1/19/21 (West side) 24/03/50 No.64

GV II

Town hall, now snooker club. 1855-6, ground floor altered late C19. Built by a Mr Russell for the Brunswick Commissioners. Render over rubble and brick, quoins, roof concealed behind parapet. Abutting buildings to north and south and set directly onto street front. 3 storeys, 2 bays, 8-pane sash windows set in moulded surrounds on second floor, first floor pilaster architraves carry segmental and angular pediments, flat string, rusticated ground floor with 6 openings, many-paned cast-iron fixed light windows in first, third, fourth and fifth bays left, square-headed entrances in second and sixth bays, the latter with a 6-panel door, the former without a door, opening onto a lobby with C20 panelled doors and cast-iron bracket lamp. Built by the Brunswick Commissioners and known as Brunswick Town Hall, the building passed in 1873 to the Hove Commissioners and became Hove Town Hall until 1882 when a new Town Hall was constructed; (this building by Alfred Waterhouse was demolished after a fire).

Listing NGR: TQ2968404505

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29684 04505

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 10:18:31.