List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List entry Number: 1187541

Location

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, BLATCHINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365486

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ2805SE BLATCHINGTON ROAD 579-1/14/9 (North side) Holy Trinity Church

GV II

Church. 1863-4, tower built 1866, north aisle 1868, external pulpit added 1912, two robing rooms for the choir inserted under the gallery in 1949, one of which became the vicar's office in 1975. Designed by a local architect, James Woodman, (builder Mr Cane), in a style described variously as Lombardo-Gothic, Early English, or "one where the details are ignorant beyond belief"; possibly the ecclesiastical-eclectic style. Red brick with coloured brick in arches to window openings, Bath stone dressings including string courses and cornices, asbestos slate roofs, coped verges. Plan: 4-bay aisled nave, nave extended west with large gallery over vestry rooms, polygonal apse, north-east organ bay and south-east vestry with attached external pulpit; entrance via the base of the tower on south front. Crenellated 3-stage tower, 2-light bell-openings, arcade of interlocking arches on south front below clock, pointed arch openings at ground floor level now closed by glass doors, 2-stage stair turret on west front. The aisles are lit from the east end by rose windows, as is the west end of the nave. The flat-roofed external pulpit is built of red brick with Bath stone dressings and has Ionic pilasters supporting a cavetto moulded cornice. It is approached by a short flight of steps with an ashlar wall; studded plank door to pulpit. Interior rendered. Arch-braced roof to chancel carried on foliate corbels; scissor-brace to nave; unusual roof construction to aisles of 2 tiers of curved struts. Foliate capitals to arcade. Wooden gallery with pierced panels. Organ with stencilled pipes, 1883 by Harper of Bath; rebuilt 1926 and converted to electricity 1964. The font of Caen stone supported by columns of Sicilian marble was presented in 1878, the carved canopy in 1924. Sanctuary panelling, choir stalls and altar table date from 1924. Carpetted chancel. The pulpit, according to the church guidebook, originally "projected over the north edge of the chancel opening" but was replaced in 1934 by a freestanding wooden one. Stained glass by Ward and Hughes, with one window in the north aisle by Hardman. The intended spire was never built. This is the only church in the Brighton and Hove area with an external pulpit, indicative of the evangelical traditions of its early days. This also explains the dearth of contemporary fittings. An interesting church of its type, occupying a prominent position in an important street. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-; Anon: Holy Trinity, Hove; A Short History: 1976-).

Listing NGR: TQ2883605121

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Holy Trinity Hove A Short History, (1976)
Dale, A , Brighton Churches, (1989)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28836 05121

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 10:47:47.