List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CRIMBLE MILL

List entry Number: 1187124

Location

CRIMBLE MILL, CRIMBLE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358842

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEYWOOD SD81SE CRIMBLE LANE 335-0/6/10024 Crimble Mill 15/12/67 II*

Cotton mill. c1829. For Charles Stott. Brick, stone dressings stone and slate roofs. Main range composed of 4 linked I buildings which stand on the narrow strip of ground between the River Roche and the large reservoir (now filled in). Also included: the office of c1860 which stands on the river bank. EXTERIOR: largest, most prominent block is the 5-storey, 17-bay spinning mill of c1829, modified and enlarged 1860s and 1886 (datestone over round-arched entrance with chamfered voussoirs) .Red/brown brick on stone foundations, stone sills and lintels. Basement storey housed two water wheels with iron buckets: sluice gates and reservoir dam wall survive on E side. Attic storey lit by roof lights and round-arched gable windows. Water tower added at N end. At S end the c1850 extensions comprise: external beam-engine house with tall round-arched window; set back to right the attached 4-storey, 4-bay ancillary building. Stone jambs, sills, lintels to loading/ taking-in doors left. To rear the tapering cylindrical chimney stack. At N end an attached 4-storey, 5-bay warehouse with segmental-arched windows, central loading door on 1st floor. Brick, slate roof. INTERIOR: brick-vaulted fire-proof construction. Office block approximately 15m west of main range, next to bridge over River Roch. Single storey, 2 bays. Rendered, slate roof. Round-arched gable end doorway has voussoirs and jambs similar to main range; corner pilasters. Ridge stack. HISTORY: the site was owned by the Kenyon family in 1761 who had a water-powered fulling mill. In the late 1820s Charles Stott built the present mill for cotton spinning and in the 1850s it was converted to steam power. In 1859 the Kenyons bought the mill back and following the cotton famine he converted the buildings into an integrated woollen plant. In 1924 a detached engine and boiler house were built; during the mid C20 extensive additions for cloth finishing were added. In 1970 the Kenyons left and the premises were taken . over by Roeacre Dyeing and Spinning; it is now a bleach works. The site is characterised by the continuity of occupation and longevity of the Kenyon firm. The rare survival of the water wheel housing emphasises the continuity of water power on this site into the mid C19.

Listing NGR: SD8648911658

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 86489 11658

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2014 at 10:55:07.