List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1186860

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityMatterdale

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74567

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MATTERDALE WATERMILLOCK NY 42 SW 6/165 Church of All Saints -

- II Church. 1881-84. By C.J. Ferguson. Narrow coursed slate with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave, west tower, and chancel with south vestry. Coped glables and quoins; lancet windows and some single-chamfered-mulliond windows. Tower has north gabled porch; 2-light plate tracery west window; south stair turret under lean-to roof and west entrance with decorated lintel. 3 louvred bell openings on sill course and projecting coped parapet. 4-bay nave has paired lancets between weathered buttresses, but north side has small lancet to east and single lancet to 3rd bay; 3rd bay to south has triple lancets. Chancel has sill course and angle buttresses; gable cross; 3 stepped lancets to east, with vesica above; single and paired lancets to north; south vestry under catslide roofs; mullioned window, and east entrance under decorated lintel; lancet to east. Interior crown post roof with ashlaring. Tower arch has half-glazed timber screen with Jacobean detail and C20 doors. Tower has inserted C20 service area; good late C19 stained glass to west window and small south light. Georgian royal arms and Lord's Prayer and Creed board. Nave has coronate and wall scances. Wall memorials from earlier (?C16) church include Castlehow family brass dated 1562 and John and Jane Dobson (died 1742 and 1743), cartouche with scrolls, cherubs etc. Basin font of polished granite with etched decoration. Chancel arch on short corbelled responds. Lectern on tripod. Pulpit and stalls with Jacobean detail. South organ loft, and sedilium in window recess. Altar rail with turned balusters. Late C19 stained glass to nave and chancel.

Listing NGR: NY4316422974

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 43164 22974

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:33:34.