List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1186600

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireForest of DeanDistrict AuthorityLydney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 354422

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYDNEY CHURCH ROAD SO 60 SW (east side) 7/60 Church of St Mary 7.8.54 GV I Anglican parish church. Mainly C13, a chapel of c1500, restorations of C19 including late C19 rebuild of spire. Thin-bedded sandstone rubble with large flush quoin stones, welsh slate roof to coped gables with crosses. West tower and spire, nave, north and south aisles, deep north porch, deep vestry to south aisle, chancel also with vestry, chapel at east end of north aisle. Tower of C13 in 4 stages with crenellation, and rebuilt octagonal spire with roll mould arrises, heavy buttresses in 2 stages, bold string courses at each stage, bold stair turret north side in 3 stages; C13 doorway, C19 door with strap hinges and rail head, under a cusped niche with a C20 figure of Christ, cusped lancets in stages 2 and 3 and twin cusped belfry openings; south side also has a central buttress with one offset to the first stage only, and cusped lancets. South aisle has 3-light lancets, the central one cusped and under continuous moulded string with leaf stops, south side 2 tall lancets and one 4-light C15 window, east end a 3-light C13 plate tracery window; deep projecting vestry of late C19. Chancel south side two 2-light plate tracery lancets to stopped drips, east end triple lancet, not stepped, north side plain lancet. Chapel east end has 3-light window under square stopped drip, and to north, up 4 steps a 4-centred door and 4-light windows similar to east end. North aisle with 2 cusped lancets and a 4-light window, north porch has plain roll-mould door surround under coped gable with cross. Interior: tower arch is two broad chamfers internally and 3 orders to nave with a string as capital band, and a glazed screen of 1927 to Charles Eldridge Besant, and an organ above. 5-bay nave to slender circular piers with C19 caps and bases set on square plinth blocks. Double chamfer arches, and to clerestory 3-light cusped openings with flat rere-arches and a fine waggon roof with gilded bosses, and 2 tie-beams; wide south aisle with waggon roof with 18 gilded bosses and 4 tie-beams; wide north aisle, north door to segmental pointed moulded head and to its right a pointed arch to holy water stoup, the 4-light window a 1914-1918 memorial, the east end has arch in two orders with shafts on high plinths and double-ware mould, 5 steps give access to Bledisloe Chapel with 4-light north and 3-light east Tudor windows with interesting C20 glass to Arthur Henry Bathurst (1872-1936). The east window represents the Franz Josef Glacier, Waiho, New Zealand. A stone floor, and arch braced roof, to south a moulded segmental-headed opening with plain glass and a 4-centred opening with responds, caps and double chamfer. The chapel contains 12 Bathurst memorials, dating from 1754 to 1979, and hatchment with the Bathurst motto 'TIEN TA FOY'. Chancel has large flat opening to organ chamber to north, and an arch-braced 5-bay roof with 18 bosses. Monuments: in the tower a series of upright ledger slabs of C17 and C18, some badly worn, various memorials elsewhere of C18 and C19, including tablet by William Paty, and C14 stone effigy of a lady carrying a heart. Perpendicular octagonal font with Tudor rose in quatrefoils to square panels. (D Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).

Listing NGR: SO6332102527

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 63320 02526

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 08:50:35.