List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1186476

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ROSS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireForest of DeanDistrict AuthorityHuntley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 354129

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 71 NW HUNTLEY ROSS ROAD (north side)

7/57 Church of St. John the Baptist

23.9.55 GV I

Parish Church. 1862/3 except for C15 tower. By S. S. Teulon for Rev. D. Capper: carving by Earp. Tower irregular roughly - squared stone, ashlar spire. Church lightly hammer-dressed red stone, cream ashlar dressings, stone slate roof, stone ridges. 3- bay nave, west tower, north aisle, 2-bay chancel, with south transeptal organ chamber, north-east vestry, south porch. Tower on left, with octagonal stair turret full height with angled corner buttress, square-set over nave. Plain plinth; plain string course at 1st stage, single-light square-headed window above, at top 2- light square-headed window. Broach-spire by Teulon, foliate apex and iron cross: spirelet to stair turret, foliate apex. Nave, plain plinth, angled buttress to left corner, square-set to side: two 2-light, one 3-light windows, curvilinear tracery, no hoodmoulds. Plain projecting eaves, cross gablet kneelers and eastern apex, base of stone cross. Porch gabled, cross gablet apex with stone cross. Square-set corner buttresses; moulded door surround with ogee-shaped hoodmould, terminating in flush panel; carved heads as stops. Organ chamber gabled, with cross-gabled kneelers and apex with stone cross: square-set corner buttresses, south facing gabled. Between are 2 moulded strings, with 5-light blind arcading, trefoil ogee heads, stylised flower backing. Above crenellations form sill to trefoil-shaped window and hoodmould with curvilinear tracery, set within two-centred relieving arch. Stops to hoodmould a lion and a lamb: carvings of musicians in window base, one with harp, one with organ. Above window 2 blind lancets. Chancel projects half-bay with square-set gabled buttresses, plain plinth, moulded string course and 3 blind trefoils. On north semi-circular porch with pepperpot roof covers vestry door: doorway trefoil-headed. Interior: walls cream ashlar, red bands. Arch-braced collar trusses to nave, off strongly-carved stone corbels, angel musicians one side, symbols of 4 evangelists over portrait medallions other. Aisle arcade has central columns with 4 detached marble shafts: ornate foliate capitals above, figure stops to hoodmoulds. Alternate voussoirs painted stylised flowers. Texts over all openings and along eaves. Chancel panelled boarded, pointed barrel vault, with ornate truss to define sanctuary. This, aisle and chancel arch on marble columns. 2-seat stone sedilia and piscina. Minton-tiled floor throughout church. ornate font on pillared base in brass-railed enclosure in nave. Multi-coloured marble pulpit with brass candle-holders; ornate marble lectern with brass eagle and candle-holders: marble reredos in high relief (these 3 shown at Great Exhibition of 1851). Lord's prayer and creed on painted iron plates either side of chancel arch, decalogue at east end. Glass in nave and north aisle sepia-tinted biblical scenes with coloured surrounds, designed by Teulon. Brass oil lamps on iron chains from wrought-iron brackets at corners of chancel. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and Forest of Dean, 1970, p.275). __



Listing NGR: SO7133219609

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 275

National Grid Reference: SO 71328 19610

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 10:48:26.