List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1186272

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
EssexUttlesfordDistrict AuthorityHatfield Broad Oak

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 353622

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5416/5516 HATFIELD BROAD OAK CHURCH YARD

6/68 Church of St. Mary the 20/02/67 Virgin

GV I

Parish church, former western part of Benedictine Priory. Founded by Aubrey de Vere about 1135. The walls are mostly of flint rubble with some brickwork and old ashlar. Dressings are of Barnack limestone and clunch. Roofs are low pitched, gabled and lead covered. Consists of west tower, vestry, south porch and rectangular block containing aisled nave, north and south chapels and library enclosing short chancel. The C15 west tower is of 4 stages with moulded plinth and embattled crow-stepped parapet. The tower arch is early C15 and of 2 moulded orders with semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. The second stage has a single light window with a trefoiled head in the north, south and west walls. The west wall also has a single light C16 window. Each face of the third stage has 2 light windows with 4 centre heads and moulded labels. The bell chamber has C15 windows in each face, each of two 4 centred lights in 2 tiers and with square heads and labels. The north vestry is of Cl7 red brickwork with black headers and a gabled pegtile roof. The south porch is C15 with embattled parapet and crocketed pinacles at the angles. The 2-centred arched door has attached side shafts with moulded capitals and blank shields in the spandrels. The side walls each have a 3 light window. The nave has C14 north and south arcades each of 4 bays with fine label stops with carved heads. The clerestorey has 5 late C14 windows. The north aisle has 4 windows, 2 of the C15, one modern and one C14 much restored. The roof is of the late C14 with curved braces springing from corbels carved with angels. The south side also has 4 windows in its long wall, largely modern but with earlier fragments. At the east end is a semi-octagonal stair tower for the rood loft access. The south door arch is of the late C14 and of 2 moulded orders with a probable C15 pair of doors in-situ. The west wall has a late C14 repaired window matching one on the west wall of the north aisle. The aisle roof is of the late C14 and that over the nave of 1843. The chancel has a modern east window and roof, but with C15 carved angels and the north and south walls have modified C14 arches. The north chapel has 2 late C15 windows in its north wall and, externally, 2 arches of a blank arcade. The south chapel has a C15 window and modern door in its east wall. In the south wall is a large 5 light C15 window. The west arch is uniform with that of the north chapel. In the south east corner is the library of 1708 with 300 volumes of the C15-C17. Externally evidence remains for the original cruciform plan form of the Priory church. The surviving western piers of the crossing have demi-shafts and one water leaf capital of c.1175 and the foundations of the rest of the east end were exposed in the late C19. In the chancel is an early C18 oak reredos, early C18 communion rail with carved and twisted balusters and some old marble and encaustic tile flooring. In the nave, an elaborate C18 brass candlelabra, a c.1400 kneeling oak figure and one stained glass window by Hardman of 1893. Stone late C13 effigy on floor of chancel, said to be of Robert de Vere, third Earl of Oxford. Five C17 floor slab memorials with elaborate lettering. Wall monuments to Sir John Barrington, Bart 1691, to Sir Charles Barrington 1788 by J.F. Moore and Lady Ibbetson 1816 by Flaxman. Neo-classical wall monuments to William Selwint of Down Hall and Stanes Chamberlayne 1782. In the north chapel, a C15 oak screen or parclose skillfully restored. Royal arms above south door and painted Parish Poor board. Included for architectural, historical, landscape and townscape importance. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL5467216625

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54672 16625

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:09:36.