List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TYSOE MANOR AND ATTACHED WALL

List entry Number: 1186224

Location

TYSOE MANOR AND ATTACHED WALL, SHIPSTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityTysoe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYSOE SHIPSTON ROAD SP3343 (North side) Upper Tysoe 18/107 Tysoe Manor and attached wall 02/09/52

GV II*

House. Late C14 hall range, altered, with C17 and C20 additions. Squared, coursed ironstone with stone slate roof and stone ridge and end stacks, the flues diagonally set. Hall range of 2 storeys plus attic; 2-window range. To right a wrought iron and glazed door within restored 4-centred arch with spandrels, hood mould and label stops. Semi-circular stone arch above. To left a restored 5-light stone mullioned window with hood mould and label stops, with a similar 4-light window above. To centre right of first floor a C14 two-light window, perhaps reset, with reticulated tracery within double chamfered surround and hood mould with label stop. To rear a stone projection which was possibly a lateral stack or stair turret. Quoins and stone coped gables, that to right with ball finial on apex. Offset to left a 2-storey, one-window range with plank door and 2-light stone mullioned window above to left. A small room adjoining to left has lead rainwater head dated 1678. Adjoining hall range to right, a late C17 range of 2 storeys plus attic; 2-window range. To right of ground and first floor a 4-light mullioned window. To left a 2-light mullioned window with ovolo moulding. A 3-light mullioned window above. All windows have hood moulds and label stops. 2 gabled dormers have 2-light mullioned windows. Gables to right are coped. Rainwater head on gable end is dated 1710. Adjoining to right a 2-storey range. To centre a plank door within moulded wood surround with hood mould and damaged label stops. To right a 3-light stone mullioned window with hood mould. To centre of first floor a similar mullioned window with hood mould and label stops. C20 single light to left of first floor. Further wing extending forward from right. Large C20 range to rear. Extending forward approximately 10 metres from front a C18 ironstone wall with 3 courses of coping, and quoins to end. Interior: late C14 moulded arch-braced collar truss roof with curved wind braces. 4 bays. To first floor chamfered stone pointed-arch doorways, probably original. Some stone flagged floors and chamfered spine beams in C17 range. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire p.436).

Listing NGR: SP3341143762

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 436

National Grid Reference: SP 33411 43762

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 03:05:27.