List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1186152

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, ST GILES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNuneaton and BedworthDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Feb-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308610

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH ST. GILES ROAD SP38NW (East side) Exhall I 4/69 Church of St. Giles 01/07/49 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Giles) GV II

Church. Chancel c.1300. Tower C14/C15. North aisle dated 1609. South aisle 1842. North aisle extended, vestry added and church extensively restored 1885. Chancel of sandstone rubble with some imitation ashlar,render. Concrete tile roof. Remainder of church of sandstone ashlar. Plain-tile roofs. Coped gable parapets with gablet kneelers throughout. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north vestry, south porch. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has diagonal and south buttresses of one offset. 3-light east window of c.1300 has intersecting tracery and head stops. Most openings have hood moulds. Chamfered south doorway has C19 door with applied Y-tracery. Double-chamfered south-east lancet has foliage stops. Small south-west lancet. Vestry has splay and moulded plinth and diagonal buttress. 4-centred 2-light east window has Y-tracery and datestone below. North-east corner has square stack. Moulded north doorway with double-leaf doors. Symmetrical south aisle and central porch have splay plinth and moulded dentil cornice. Diagonal and other buttresses of 2 offsets. Porch has buttresses flush with front. Arch of 2 moulded orders and chamfered jambs, late C20 double-leaf doors, and trefoiled lancet niche above. 3-light east and west and 2-light south windows have flowing tracery, and head stops. Nave and north aisle have shield and hood mould in east gable. 2-bay north aisle has old eastern diagonal buttress, and C19 western diagonal and north buttresses. Late Perpendicular-style 3-light windows are dated above: eastern window is 1609, western is 1885. Similar west window, probably of 1885. Perpendicular tower of 2 stages has high double moulded plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets merge into clasping buttresses at top. 3-light west window has deep hollow-chamfered jambs. Small blind quatrefoil panel above. Small chamfered straight-headed openings to each side. Moulded string course. 2-light bell-chamber openings have cusped Y-tracery. Embattled parapet with pinnacles. Interior is plastered. Chancel has C19 arched brace roof. Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders and chamfered jambs. Hood mould and head stops. Nave has late C19 Perpendicular-style 3-bay arcades of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and responds. Tower arch of 2 segmental-pointed chamfered arches. King-post roof has shaped brackets and is ceiled above collar beam. South aisle roof is ceiled above collar beam, and has chamfered wall posts on corbels. Fittings: late C19 Early-English-style octagonal stone pulpit. Late C19 font. Stained glass: east window 1866. South lancets c.1872. Wall monuments: north aisle: John Phillips 1716. Slate panel in moulded stone surround, in architectural framework of Corinthian pilasters, with panel and broken segmental pediment and crest. Chancel: north: Samuel Brooks 1779 and family (monument probably erected c.1825), south: Ann Brooks, 1839. Both are simple Grecian style. (VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p89; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p291)

Listing NGR: SP3404785057

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1947 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 89
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 291

National Grid Reference: SP 34047 85057

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 11:50:06.