List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1186020

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityUfton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UFTON SP36SE 3/102 Church of St. Michael 30/05/67

GV II*

Church. Early C13 origins, with C14, C13 and C16 alterations and additions. Restored 1860 and 1881. Squared coursed lias and some limestone with sandstone dressings. Plain-tile chancel and nave roofs with decorative flashing, and lead aisle roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays with offset diagonal buttresses and coped gable to east with cross at apex. Restored east window of 3 lights, the central light cusped, with mullions continuing to apex of moulded pointed arch. C14 ogee-headed doorway with hood mould in south wall, with C19 plank door. Blocked single light with cusped head and moulded surround to left, with restored square-headed window of 2 cusped lights to right. North chancel wall has corresponding blocked single light and square-headed 2-light window, partly restored. Nave of 4 bays with chamfered plinth to north aisle, moulded eaves cornice to south aisle and coped gables. Three C19 windows in south aisle wall, of one and 2 cusped lights within square heads with hood moulds and labels. Square-headed window in east wall of 3 cusped lights with panel tracery in spandrels. Single ogee-headed light to west wall with pointed hood mould and labels. Rebuilt porch with diagonal buttresses. Pointed-arch doorway of 2 orders with hood mould and labels. Single ogee-headed lights to east and west. C13 south door restored and probably re-used from original nave. Pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer order supported on detached shafts with moulded base and capital with nail-head moulding. C19 plank door. North aisle has square-headed window of 2 ogee-headed lights with hood mould to north and east, with window of 2 pointed lights and Y tracery in pointed-arch surround to west. C14 doorway in north nave wall with moulded pointed-arch surround. Restored C14 window to right of 3 cusped lights and trefoil tracery. C16 clerestory of 2 square-headed windows to north and 3 to south. Each window of 2 ogee-headed lights with cusped panel tracery and hood mould with labels. West tower of 3 stages, the third stage added C15, with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses rising to third stage and hollow-moulded eaves cornice with gargoyles. Restored embattled parapet. Restored C14 window to west, of 2 cusped lights and quatrefoil tracery, with relieving arch above. C15 bell-stage windows of 2 cusped lights with transoms within segmental pointed head. Interior; chancel windows have moulded surrounds. In south wall a damaged piscina with cusped head, stone shelf and fluted basin. South door has chamfered rere-arch. C19 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders. Aisle arcades of 2 bays to north, 3 to south. Octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals supporting arches of 2 chamfered orders. Respond to east of south arcade has carved foliage capitals. Nave and aisle windows have chamfered rere-arches. South aisle door has moulded rere-arch. Piscina towards east with cusped head. Restored trefoil-headed Piscina in east wall of north aisle. C19 font in south aisle in C14 style, with hexagonal basin supported on pedestal with engaged shaft at each angle. Two C15 benches to rear of nave with carved pinnacles and beast head. Brass in north aisle east wall inscribed. 'here lyeth the Boddyes of Richard Woddones parsson and pattron and vossioner of the Churche and parishe of Ufton, in the countrie of Warricke who died one mydsomer daye 1587 and ngery.e his wife and her seven children as nanelye Richard, John and John, Anne, Jane, Elizabeth, Ayles his iiii daughters whose sole restethe with God'. The brass shows Richard ioddames and his wife kneeling lacing one another over a prayer-desk with their sons and daughters kneeling behind. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.246-247; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.436).

Listing NGR: SP3786262173

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 246-7
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 436

National Grid Reference: SP 37862 62173

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:53:38.