List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CUMMINS ENGINE FACTORY INCLUDING CHIMNEY

List entry Number: 1185948

Location

THE CUMMINS ENGINE FACTORY INCLUDING CHIMNEY, YARM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DarlingtonUnitary AuthorityMorton Palms

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350503

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

GREAT BURDON YARM ROAD

NZ 31 SW The Cummins Engine Factory 1389-0/8/1 including chimney

II*

The address shall be amended to read:-

NZ 31 SW MORTON PALMS YARM ROAD

The Cummins Engine Factory 1 389-0/8/1 including chimney

II*

------------------------------------ GREAT BURDON YARM ROAD

NZ 31 SW The Cummins Engine Factory 1389-0/8/1 including Chimney

II*

Former Engine Factory. Constructed 1964-5. Designed by Kevin Roche, John Dinkerloo and Associates. Structural frame of exposed Cor-ten steel weathered to a brown, patina grey-brown tinted glass, fixed with neoprene gaskets. Single storey building rectangular in plan, divided into office and workshop areas by a service core. Flat roof. Floor to ceiling glazing, each vertical glazing panel divided into five horizontal lights. Structural steel frame of 'I' beams set proud of glazing, which forms continuous surface behind frame. Projecting 'cornice' of steel, and below this, at intersections with vertical members are expressed the jutting beam-ends of the roof supports. Central entrance to left return comprising 2 pairs of fully glazed doors, each pair occupying one bay of glazing. Tall rectangular chimney of Cor-ten steel to left side of front elevation, slightly in front of elevation. Interior also of note retaining original internal partitions of brown-painted steel and glass, and original strip lighting arranged in rows. Roof structure designed to permit services to be run between the main structural beams and those of the roof deck. First use in a British building of Cor-ten steel, and first large scale use in Britain of neoprene gaskets in a building.

Listing NGR: NZ3177113739

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 31771 13739

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 12:28:58.